Torsen Traction? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Torsen Traction?

Anyone heard anything on these? They're the lockers they put in the Hummers. I heard about them from that "How Stuff Works" site. They look pretty kewl. Don't have any available for Dana's, but do have them for 8.8" and 9" rear ends. How do they work? I read their website, but go little info.

http://www.torsen.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 08:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Torsen Traction?

Torsen lockers are also known as worm-drive lockers (arguably a slight misnomer) and are also known as Detroit True-tracs. Not tracloks, which have clutches a la traditional limited slips...but true-tracs. Lotsa info on them on the board...never used one myself, but I understand that they are more durable than traditional limited slips, and more forgiving than locking differentials...but not quite as effective. They work best when 'modulated' (or fooled into having some reaction to the torque otherwise being used to spin an 'unloaded' tire (tire with no traction) by stepping lightly on the brake pedal.

I Jeep, therefore I am.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 08:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

torsens were the locker to have around 1985 but big bucks... I bought two one for my old 30 front end and one for my rear 44...about a week after I put them in I figured I put them to the test so I was jumping up off a logging road ..try to climb the bank and blew the 30 torsen had a good warrenty so I figured why not go bigger as long as they were buying so thats when I went to the 44 front...and that 44 front torsen is still as good as new works great...I blew the rear torsen after about five years and went back to welded....I didn't even know they still made the things..... they had problems holding them together in the 30 and 44's and just gave up making them I guess

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 08:58 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Here are some pics of a Torsen LSD, straight from a Hummer.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Slamurai, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had one that I bought for my Dana 30 and then sold it because it was for taller gears. It looked pretty neat. Here's a link that I found:

http://members.rennlist.com/951_racerx/PS84Gleason.html

I think it's good for front axles since it won't bind steering as much. The Tru-Tracs are based on the design of the original Torsens.

-Jay
Denver, CO
1978 CJ-5 258 Weber, 'glass body, 6.32 low Ford/Scout T-19, 2.46 low Scout/Ford/Jeep Dana 20
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 12:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I recomend to anyone interested in the engineering of cool stuff to read the article that Jay has linked to. Fascinating stuff!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode