Homemade snorkel / K&N adapter - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Homemade snorkel / K&N adapter

Here's a picture of my homemade adapter. I used fibreglass mat and resin. Made a mold from a 2 lb margarine tub, and used a 4" pvc adapter for the outlet. Modified the tub with scissors, staples and hot glue gun. Set it on top of a spare carb and glassed it over. Removed plastic tub after the resin hardened. I've had this going for a year now, and it's made over 1/4" thick. Cost about $10.00 and took a couple of hours to make. As far as I could find, nothing like it could be bought. K & N has an aluminum adapter for about $180.00, but it's not as tall and isnt recommend for motors over 200 cubes. Thought I'd share my idea.

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-645799-jeepengine2.jpg (64.2 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 02:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Homemade snorkel / K&N adapter

That looks good, but is it much higher than a stock air cleaner? I was under the impression the point of a snorkle was to raise the intake. I could see how you could now easily run more PVC and hose and raise. Just curious if I am missing something.

David Sanders
http://www.geocities.com/david_sanders_79/jeep.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 03:18 PM
Mud in my Veins

Man, that's UGLY as hell![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Just what I need to fit over my 2100 when the snorkle mods come along.

Caver Dave
'72 Commando
Oo=====oO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 04:45 PM

IT is linds of rough but serves it reason. Seems like a good idea for a Very Open Element air cleaner... That is not a snorkle but a high flow air filter system. I would suggest putting a plate or something under it to keep the splashing water of of it.

Headed for Gunnison, soon....

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 05:06 PM

That in its self isn't a snorkel, but I think what Tim was trying to get at was that with 2 yards of flexi-garden hose, and 4 or 5 large hose clamps you'd have yourself one..

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, it's in a no better than stock spot right now, but I plan to move the filter up high with some pipe or flex hose, now that I have something of standard diameter to work with. I got some real heavy duty aluminum flex hose from the guys that installed a gas fireplace. Might just do the trick.

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 05:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you wanted to make it pretty just sand it down, shouldn't loose much strength being 1/4" thick. Then repaint and use some stainless steel hardware and hose clamp, and it would look like you bought it from a specialty place. A piece of aluminum under it for a splash guard would be a great idea too.

Real good job, turned out great.

Jason

----------------
OIIIIIIIO'81 Scrambler & '88 Grand Waggie
I'm stuck in the '80's!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode