03 Rubicon - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 01:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

03 Rubicon

what is all this talk of the 03 Rubicon wrangler?? the only picture i've seen was a bright green jeep, and thats not the Rubicon. thats a couple year old 'mountain bike' jeep concept. there was also a tabasco 4 cyl concept then too. anyways, how and where do you all know of this stock locked jeep?? post links and info please.

Hall

i like jeeps... i've had my share of them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 01:54 PM
jeepfiend

Re: 03 Rubicon

D44's front and rear with air lockers in both, real rocker panel guards, and no slip yoke on the t-case. Put a little lift on it and a winch and you have a pretty capable Jeep with a factory warranty.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces! Except for one!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 02:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are they actually air lockers? I know they are selectable but I was curious air, cable, electric? Its to bad Jeep just won't use 44's front and rear stock, I can't really seeing it costing that much more than the existing setup. I mean if you are buying in that much bulk what is the price difference between a dana 30 and dana 44. I just hope they don't price these to ridiculously high, not that I can afford one anyway.

David Sanders
http://www.geocities.com/david_sanders_79/jeep.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 02:32 PM
Can't Get Enough

There is a write up in this months Peterson's 4 Wheel & OffRoad. Also there is a dealer press kit for auction on E-bay. I think they were only asking $5.

My girlfriend said if I spent one more dime on my Jeep she would leave. Man I'm going to miss her!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 04:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've been watching this closely as I really want to order one.
It is in fact supposed to be air lockers, AND 4:1 low range transfer case. (This is NOT the NP231)
It is also supposed to come with Goodyear MTR's in at least a 31x10.5. However, all of these things are subject to change until we see them sitting at the dealer, right?
The Tabasco was a V8! (Dodge's venerable 318). Street tires, but otherwise a really cool concept.

1996 Cherokee Sport
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 04:49 PM
Can't Get Enough

dsanders:

To your question on why they just don't offer D44 on all Tjs, It has very little to do with cost, but more to do with gas mileage. The manufacturers are required to meet a fuel economy standard. One of the best ways of doing that is to build the lightest vehicle possible. By going to lighter running gear, you save weight and friction losses.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 04:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok I see, that makes more sense. Thanks!

David Sanders
http://www.geocities.com/david_sanders_79/jeep.htm
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 03:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Anyone know what the locker setup is, it seems a *very* complicated ARB setup. However ARB runs at a lot > 5psi. Also, limited slip+ARB in the rear? Never heard of it..
From the 2002 car show press release (Jeep's website):

The new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon has locking differentials that can be driver actuated when the transfer case is in low range and the vehicle speed is less than 10 miles per hour. A dash-mounted rocker switch allows the driver to lock the rear axle and toggle the front axle locker on and off for improved maneuvering. A pneumatic pump runs at just five pounds per square inch for a more reliable and quieter system than is available in the aftermarket. This mechanically locks the axle shafts together to drive all four wheels at the same speed. When not locked, the rear axle has a torque-sensing limited slip feature to provide better traction and handling on-road.

Scott
'85 CJ7_(0|||0)_T.H.O.R.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]"Tantrums Happen Often during Repairs"
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]"Totally Happy Off Road"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 09:26 PM

The diffs are made by a company called aisen... (I think)

I think this month's Four Wheeler also had a writeup...at least before they turned my name into the bill collector for not renewing my subscription... (but was expecting it thanks to the guys on this BBS)

You can trust me with your life, your safety, and your property, but not too many nights in the same room with you.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 09:33 PM
VirginiaJeeper

http://www.jeep.com/autoshow/news_ev...on_design.html

JEEP...It's whats for dinner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode