Jeepgod - Hysteer question for you - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 07:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeepgod - Hysteer question for you

I read your Hysteer writeup last night and have a few questions:

1) Your Parts Mike arms, the passenger side arm doesn't appear to have a second hole for the drag link, or am I just not seeing it in the image? If not, I assume you are tying the drag link into the tierod, vs typical Cross-Over setup on a CJ?

2) Know of any good sources for for these flat top knuckles. Yard scrounging down here in my part of FL doesn't look too good.

3) Brakes: Can 78 CJ disc brakes be used on these knuckles? The spindle both orientation is a little different then the CJ (ie rotated 20'ish degrees) wondering if that messes up the front caliper mounts to much.

Thanks

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
http://www.tidesys.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 10:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Jeepgod - Hysteer question for you

the parts mike arms i got did not have that second hole, since i was using wagoneer steering.. the drag link is bolted to the tierod.. i kept it as close to stock as i could, i did have to shorten it.. so i cut the long tie rod, since it was the most expensive piece..(able to get one at junkyard and then cut the Tie rod end off it..) saves money..
the flat top knuckles.. for donors..
1. 1976 & older Chevy D44's will have both
2. 1977 & newer Chevy 10bolts will have just the drivers side (but it will be drilled and tapped already)
3. 1974-1976 Jeep Wagoneer & J-Series Trucks
4. 1974-1976 Dodge 1/2 tons
you can try boneyards.. i have seen them on Ebay for around 75 bucks.. once and awhile.. parts mike does sell the knuckles.. not sure on price.. you will have to email him..
i also know of a set up here in a boneyard.. infact i know of serval sets.. probably around $75.. but i havent discussed price with them.. just saw them..
those disc brakes.. not sure if they will work or not.. your concern is correct... since some times with that rotation difference will put the caliper in the way of the flat portion of the knuckle.. i havent dealt with it so i dont know.. i used the wagoneer d44 stock brake setup with my knuckles which came from a 76 Wagoneer.. then used the ford rotor/bearing hub..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>If you are allergic to lead, it is best to avoid a war zone</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 11:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks, still trying to find decent boneyards down here in West Central FL...
(Tampa area..)

Are we saying that Jeep D30 spindles won't bolt to these knuckles?
If they do, I could alway have the caliper mounts redilled.

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 11:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

no... i dont believe so.. if they did bolt up.. the hole for the axle shaft will not be big enough for the d44 shaft.. unless you have a scout.. they have the small outers..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>If you are allergic to lead, it is best to avoid a war zone</font color=orange>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 12:20 PM
Veteran

Try http://www.car-part.com/ for some parts yards.

<font color=red>I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.<font color=black>
Semper Jeep

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 02:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The CJ spindles will bolt to those knuckles, but like jeepgod said the axleshaft won't pass through them. The brakes that will work with those knuckles are fairly inexpensive.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
'63 CJ6 rolling chassis and body only
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 02:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hmm... I have Currie 9" front axle that I am doing a SOA on... If the axle fits now, then I'd expect it to fit after... unless using these knuckles requires a longer outer? Trying to save a few $$$ where I can... Its not just the brakes, its buying everything from the knuckle out again...

And no, I didn't buy the Currie axles new![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img], I picked them up at a total cost (F&R) of about $500. Bought a jeep, swapped the axles and resold...

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode