Dana 30 front tuff enough for my use? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 11:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dana 30 front tuff enough for my use?

For my 83 CJ5, I run 33" tires and do mild 4wheeling. (try not to throttle bounce up obstacles) I want to install ARB locker F&R and 4.10 ring & pinion. Plan on keeping 6 cyl and install fuel injection. Going to keep the rear AMC 20 and install one piece shafts.

The cost and length of time needed for the 44 swap does not appeal to me...

any opinions? yea i did a search, but it is too hard to search through my search results.

-carl

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 11:28 PM

Re: Dana 30 front tuff enough for my use?

It will definitely be enough for 33" tires. But if you havent already spent the money upgrading your D30, it sure is worth the little extra effort to swap to a d44. The steering options alone make the D44 worth it.
But to answer your question again, the D30 should be reliable at the 33" tire size, even if you do get a little rough with it.

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 11:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

It should be fine for mild wheeling, but the pinion gear is getting mighty small with 4.10's in a Dana 30. If you have a light rig, and keep the six it should last. Dana 30's seem to put up with alot more than people give them credit for. Another good mod would be the Warn or Superior axle shafts that upgrade to the 297 size u-joint. With the locker in there, those will be the weak link. Add it all up before buying the stuff though, I think Sam's off road is selling complete (minus steering knuckle-out) Dana 44 fronts right now for about $1500 with a Detroit and good shafts!. I believe the dana 30 outer stuff fits these axles.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 12:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I say stick a D44 up front if you're going to end up regearing the front anyway. Not sure of any donor's for CJ's that don't need to be cut down though. But hey, that should be THAT hard[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] But if you still insist on sticking with your D30 front, it should be alright.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 06:44 AM
utahjeepr

I wheel the living snot out of my 30. I mean some fairly hardcore stuff. I run with 35" tires, V-8, 5.38 gears and 100 to 1 crawl all of which add stress to the axles. I am running the Warn axleshafts and 297X u-joints. I'm sure mine will go someday, but I am doing some fairly hard stuff (hammers, axle alley and terminator in AZ, that kind of thing).

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 09:22 AM
Veteran

Off the subject Jeff but did you do any sort of right up/notes when you did your 5.0 swap? I've got mine sitting on an engine stand right now and there are some issues I need to work out such as what to do about an OBA system. I'm pretty fond of the yorks. Didn't you already deal with this?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 09:36 AM
Veteran

I'm running 33's with 4.10s locked front and rear turned by an auto tranny powered by a 304. The rear 20 has Moser 1 piece axles but the front is stock except the addition of internally splined hubs. So far everything has held up just fine. I don't hammer it to death but I don't baby it either. In fairness the auto is probably a little more forgiving on the drive train but drivetrain survivability also has alot to do with a driver that knows when to get OFF the skinny pedal. In the relative near future I intend to upgrade the axle shafts and don't mind spending the money on the axle because it will see use in a jeep that will end up spending more time on road than off. These axles will be plenty durable under those conditions. The current ride will be giving up these axles for the heavy duty units I intend to swap in. This will end up being my "hard core" jeep.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 11:04 AM
sas87yj

yep- D30 with 33's no prob.
i have wheeled with tons of guys with that setup and never seen a broken axle. now i even know guys running 35's on the D30 and with a locker too. myself- i run 32's on the D30 and have wheeled very hard in my opinion on brutal ROCKS. not a tremendous diff between 32's and 33's. the ARB part of your question i can't answer from personal experience but i again wheel with lots of guys using all kinds of lockers on the stock D30.

now the rear stock D35 is an entirely diff story! i've seen many problems with them with big tires and lockers. well know fact about their strength.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 12:08 PM

With all due respect to those who say it will hold, I have to cast some doubt. I have a stock 258 with 30" tires and 3.54 gears. A couple of weeks ago I was stuck nose down and couldn't go forward. In spinning the wheels trying to back up I shucked 9 teeth off the ring gear. I have a T18 where reverse is in the 7:1 range, but there still isn't a lot of torque there, and all four tires were in soft dirt. (That's why I tried spinning them) It has less than 70K miles, has never been thrashed, and has had fresh lube in the gear cases several times since new in '78. I do plow some snow with it, but not a lot.

I am not going to bother putting out $300 or $400 to replace the R & P; I'm looking for a D44.

And in your case the pinion in a 4.10 set is getting pretty small. I wouldn't give it much of a chance to hold together, especially with a locker.

Jim

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 12:51 PM
sas87yj

i would say jim_lou's case is an oddball-freak case and not the majority. it does matter somewhat that his D30 doesn't have the "reverse cut" gears- am i correct here jim? with those 3.54's and 30's it would not normally snap like that. true, aiming down hill while trying to back-up does put more strain on the front axle- another physics thingy.

i dis-agree on the 4.10's and a locker, especially an ARB or an LSD. welded or a spool i would think otherwise.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode