CJ7 back window replacement - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

CJ7 back window replacement

Last summer I ruined the steel rear window frame on my CJ7 factory hardtop. The local Jeep dealer had a part number for the frame and ordered it, but for months it was back-ordered. Finally I gave up and made a frameless rear window out of half-inch Plexiglas.

It uses the stock spring struts and lock-latch assembly. I like it better than the factory setup because I now have visibility all the way to the opening in the top. The plastic cost $68. It will scratch, but scratches polish out easily.

If anybody is interested I can send drawings and stuff.

Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 08:13 PM

Re: CJ7 back window replacement

you can flame polish the scratches with propane If you are careful.It's also not safety glass ,Just a thought.I sure wish I knew what happens to all those old liftgates,cause they sure are scarce.I think I figured it would cost about 300 bucks or more to cobble one up from 4 wheel drive parts catalog.I am concidering cutting mine down into a half top and using my wind jammer for the back window.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

I never thought about the safety glazing issue, but it doesn't worry me any. That window is a long way back, and 1/2" plexi is mighty tough. If you whack it hard enough to break it, it just cracks into a couple of big pieces.

I considered making it out of polycarbonate (Lexan or the like) but didn't because of the cost and the difficulty of polishing out scratches.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 11:48 PM
Journeyman

Jim,
Still got pictures or details of your plexiglass liftgate? I was considering trying to fit a YJ glass. I was just about to post a query for creative solutions, but decided to do a search first. It looks like you've already done the work. Winter is approaching, and I don't like the look (or price) of the stock CJ style liftgate anyway.
Thanks, Mark
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Sure. Shoot me an e-mail address and I'll send them to you.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 07:42 AM
Way Outta Control

Two questions:

Where are the pictures of that back hatch?

How do you flame polish Plexiglases?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Here are a couple of pictures, one showing how I reversed the mounting of the support strut. Somewhere I have a dimensioned drawing of the strut attachment brackets and the dimensions of the window.

As for flame-polishing, I've never done it and don't know how, but do know it's possible and a pretty common technique. I may have something on the subject in the shop.

Something one should be aware of when contemplating this is that a sheet of acrylic that big is flexible, even at a half inch thick. When closing it I let it down and then push the lower corners into the latch. The best benefit is the additional visibility out; you notice it as soon as you get into the driver's seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1540101-DSCN1258a.JPG (380.0 KB, 12 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 10:39 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Is business so slow you had to take on a paper route?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 04:11 PM

Leve
You just pass the flame over it, it is just like any plastic. It melts.
It is like welding! Take some time to practice on scrap pieces, till you can gauge the amount of time and distance just to clear it. Too long and it will melt and either turn black from carbon, or Craze giving the look of fine cracks or bubbles in the plastic.done right you can't even tell it was done.
Naturally it won't take out deep gouges but it may soften them up, and if you are doing edges smooth them out as much as you can first and clean off any clinging dust and residue or it will burn before the scratches clear..Plexiglass is very static electric prone, so all that residue wants to stay just where you don't want it.
It also tends to get pretty brittle in the cold weather, at that point it breaks easier than in warmer weather.
I don't know about 1/2 inch but the quarter in stuff I used tended to crack at the hardware mounting holes.
That original post about flame polishing was from 2002. I think ? Anyhow I just gave the whole thing up and cut the hard top down to a half hard top. much easier to handle.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]
Is business so slow you had to take on a paper route?

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife's mother-in-law (got that?) lives with us, and she's big on recylcing. I'm not, so the newspapers collect in the coat closet until there's no more room. Then I back the Jeep up the walk to the front door and haul them out. When I restored the Jeep they accumulated for more than ten months. This is what the closet looked like. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
the quarter in stuff I used tended to crack at the hardware mounting holes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now for some useful information. Many plastics, including acrylic, expand and contract a lot with temperature changes. If it can be subjected to extremes of temperature you have to allow for that in the mounting. If you're going to use 1/4" fasteners put them through 3/8" holes and put a backer plate on the other side. If you're going to fasten a large piece on opposite sides, get the engineering specs for the material you're using. Calculate the potential change for the size sheet and mount it with enough room in the fasteners to allow for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1540159-DSCN1042a.JPG (344.8 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode