Best CJ Bump[ers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Best CJ Bump[ers

I need front and rear bumpers for my cj. I dont like the tube bumpers, and I dont want to spend a ton of money. also I would like to add a winch in the future.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 01:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Best CJ Bump[ers

I think they are called Rock Crawler bumpers. They slant up and in on the outside corners to give a little better approach angle and they are solid, usually with 2 D rings on the front which I like. They have winch mounting plates for them and they also have a bolt on tire carrier if you plan on adding a big tire in the back at some point.

JT

97 TJ Daily Driver
4.0 5spd 32X11.5 BFG MT KMs with 2.5" of lift.
87 YJ
Soon to be trail worthy
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 01:02 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Want my suggestion? Go buy a welder!!! I'm serious!!! Like possibly a Hobart 135. I've heard they're great, and only run off 110-120v. Then you could just add a tire carrier in the rear while you're at it. If you wanted to buy a tire carrier, you'd spend probably $500+. A good welder can be snagged for that price, if not less. It's up to you man. But I'm sure a lot more people on here will agree with me on this one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 01:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm looking for bumbers as well and ran across these front and rears on the internet. Seem to be of quality construction and look great. Price isn't too bad either. Check them out. http://www.bulletproofmfg.com/ good luck.

Randy
'83 CJ7
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 08:30 AM

You can have a welder, chopsaw, and hand grinder plus the steel for less than what you'll pay for a finished unit. That said, sometimes folks don't want to get into that level of fabrication. If that's the case then check out Tomken's stubby; it's not too $$ (around 125 i think) and will integrate with many winch mounts (although their winch mount/brushgaurd looks nice also). For the rear I think the best unit is four wheel drive hardware's proprietary one. It will hold up to a 35" spare and utilizes Timken bearings in the swingout; also priced less (~$500ish) than any similar ones. Bulletproof is very nice but very spendy.

Max

82 CJ, some stuff stock, some stuff not
Have you hugged your Jeep today?
http://www.alpine14rs.org
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 09:20 AM
Can't Get Enough

My advice is to make your own, but if your set on buying one, stay away from Tomken. Their quality is not that good. Their "powder coat" is a joke. I bought their rear bumper before I knew any better and it rusted after one winter. I sanded all the rust off and painted it myself. I believe others on this board have similiar opinions of Tomken. I think that there was a post just last week about their tire carrier.

Rick
80 CJ7
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 09:38 AM
ArkyCrawler

I just love these bumbers!

http://www.younger-bros.com

Steve

83 CJ-7/chevy 350/44-20 with lockers/4"lift/33x12.5 swampers on hellcats/9500 ramsey. I'm in LOVE!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 10:07 AM

Younger Brothers makes some great stuff, but last I heard you'll wait 6-8 months for one, and their policy is don't call us, we'll call you. BulletProof has decent prices until you start adding all the goodies on, then they get downright pricey.

I also tend to agree with the fab it yourself crowd.

Personally fabbing wasn't an option when I got mine (it is now). Up front I went with a MORE Rockproof bumper (has an integrated winchplate included for $475. http://www.mountainoffroad.com/catal.../rockproof.htm

Out back I went with a Garvin Wilderness Rack. I've looked at a LOT of tire carriers, but this one was the only thing that had everything I wanted in a decent price range. http://www.garvin-industries.com/swing_away_tire.html

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 01:03 PM
RatPatrol

2x6x1/4" tubing. Welder and chopsaw. cheap and tough.

-Jeremy

1980 CJ-7 all custom
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 06:26 PM

I would respectfully disagree about Tomken; I don't think their rear bumper/tire carrier is a very good design or product, but I have the front bumper and winch mount and have got no complaints. Course all it is is 2x4 steel with D-ring mounts. Kinda hard to mess that up.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Max

82 CJ, some stuff stock, some stuff not
Have you hugged your Jeep today?
http://www.alpine14rs.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode