Worth of 84 CJ8? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Worth of 84 CJ8?

I found a 84 CJ8 with 55K on it.It has 6'6" western plow the half cab,decent aluminum rims and 30 or 31 AT,s.The bad points are it has a lot of body rot and it comes with two bad trannys.One is the original T5 with a D300,the second one a T150 with D20 is still in it but first gear is going. It looks like it has either a 1" or 2" body lift.The 258 in it seems to run OK.The price for this is a $1000.Does that seem reasonable?

F.T.D
77 CJ7,79 CJ5 Plow Jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 10:37 PM

Re: Worth of 84 CJ8?

Sounds like a great deal, swap in a T18 and put some bondo on the body and your ready to go. The plow is worth $500+/-

Rodney C
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 02:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds Ok. CJ8's are worth more than 7's or 5's because of the longer wheelbase (the frame and body). If those are rusted badly it isn't worth any more time or money than any other jeep.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 08:07 AM
Veteran

Is the frame is decent enough shape? CJ8's are worth more than CJ5s & CJ7s because they are pretty rare, especially in rust belt areas.

We just bought one yesterday for $2000, it's body has been bondo-ed up pretty good, but it is all one color, although the guy painted it with a green bedliner type color. But it is a frankenstein with narrow track axles and a T150/D20 driveline. The 258 in it is strong with a new weber carb, but it does have a (not very) leak rear main seal. New exhaust. 1/2 cab. The bed was refurbished and plated entirely with diamondplate. The frame is in decent enough (certainly not perfect), shape, good enough that you could touch it up & build off of it.

It runs & drives & just ran out of PA inspection & would probably pass with new tires.

Heres a picture:

http://www.in2jeeps.com
"The only makeup I wear is never-seez"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Mel,the body is rusted in the same places that yours is patched.The frame looked pretty decent,no rust in the usual places like the spring mounts and the rear frame rails.I looked at this Jeep about a month and a half ago and offered him a grand,I will have to take another look this week before making a final decision.

F.T.D
77 CJ7,79 CJ5 Plow Jeep.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Just came back from looking at it.The tub is in rough shape,it has a 2" or 3" body lift.The lift blocks are either missing,3 in the rear or tilting and punching through the body mounts.The engine started right up and sounded good and the plow looks like new.It looks like they replaced the stock radiator with somthing else it sits about 3" lower than where it is supposed to.I dont know if this is caused by the body lift.I think I'm going to get it.

F.T.D
77 CJ7,79 CJ5 Plow Jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode