YJ Tranny question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

YJ Tranny question

I'm going with a friend tomorrow to look at an 87 YJ he is thinking about buying. The owner says that the tranny needs a second gear synchro. What tranny would this jeep have (AX-15 maybe??) It's a 5 speed tranny with a 258.
Assuming the sychro is all that's bad, how hard would it be to change it?

Here's the Jeep http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...LASSIFIEDS.COM

The price seems kinda low for that Jeep, which concerns me a little, but we're gonna go drive it and check it out real good tomorrow.
Thanks!

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Re: YJ Tranny question

Why the heck does this post show up so wide?
This bbs can do some strange things some times . . . [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 09:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My guess is that it is a Peugeut. Its a piece of SH*T. I'm surprised it lasted 138,000 miles. You're better off findind a AX-15 and swapping. I know it will bolt upto an NP231 xfer case, but I'm not sure about the NP207, which some 87 Wranglers had. Seems like a good price, not sure what jeeps go for around your area, but doesn't seem low to me. Hope everything goes well for your friend.

JT

97 TJ Daily Driver
4.0 5spd 32X11.5 BFG MT KMs with 2.5" of lift.
87 YJ
Soon to be trail worthy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 08:20 AM
sas87yj

yeah it's a BIG post cause of the BIG 7" lift.
seems like a good price- well make him an offer of $3500. he'll take it. dump the tranny if it's the peugeot and invest in another like a T5 or NV4500.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 10:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yo jeepYJTJ... i heard that YJ isnt that close to being trail worthy!! that you need your friends to fix it for ya and you want to give it away.. haha

take his advice, dump the peugot!! i broke my ax-15 too

Hall

<font color=red>88 Jeep XJ. </font color=red> 30" tires, No Sway bar
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 11:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That Jeep will have the Peugot tranny. It has a weak design with a seem that goes straight down the middle. The general feeling is that if it's shot, replace it with something else. It's expensive to fix and not worth it. That said, alot of folks are driving around with high milage peugot trannies and 33" tires with no problems. It's reputation could be a bargaining tool though.

'88 Sahara, 4.2 that runs thanx to every Cheap trick on this board. The rest is getting there![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 11:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, the peugeot is not the most highly desireable tranny (hence the fact Jeep only used it for about 2 years or so) That stupid deal AMC made with Renault really managed fork Chrysler over for a few years though, huh?! Haha, leave it to AMC. Anyway, the NP207 you have isn't the best xfer case either. The NP231 found in later Jeeps is regarded as stronger and more reliable. If you're looking for the cheapest, easiest and in the long run, more reliable route, I would look for an AX-15 out a later Jeep YJ or TJ with the NP231 attached. Make sure you get the bellhousing too though. BTW: Jeeprage: Aren't you the one who managed to mangle a perfectly good NP242 case in your stock cherokee?! God only know how you pulled that one off.

Jay
95 Wrangler Rio Grande...She's gettin there - I'm all about the 4 cyls
http://www.geocities.com/heavycream
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 11:25 AM
sas87yj

yeah i've got 148,000 on my peugeot and i have the NP231. they both work GREAT- so far. if and when the tranny takes a dump i will replace with a stronger unit f sure.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 03:24 PM

Way too much... 7 Years ago that is how much We paid for our 90 YJ. It was the same with the exeption of the 7inch lift and 35's. IT had 31's on ultra rims, new top, and an upgraded stereo. No tranny Problems either.

Only 95,000 miles on my 90 now and it is a daily driver. Over all, it look good, but the price is way to high.

Headed for Gunnison, soon....

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Well, we were about to go look at it and called the guy back and he just sold it this morning. We're shopping for something else now. Trying to talk him into a '83 Renegade I found for about the same price. I think he'd be happier with round headlights [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode