Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 09:40 PM
Official Historian

Re: Here are my babys first pictures!

http://www.geocities.com/higherresol...latfender.html

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 11:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Sweet ride Dan! I love old flatties. From what I understand, some of the early models had column shift. It might be worth it to at least find those parts if you are going "resto" with it. What are your plans for it?
BTW, about half of the pic's on the linked page wouldn't load.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 05:36 AM

looks in pretty good shape to me, great project [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
"Sept 11th 2001" will not be forgotten
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I cleaned alot of it last night. I am going to totally take it off the frame and dismantle everything. The place where i live doesnt like "unregistered vehicles" So if it is in a million pieces i can argue that it isnt a vehicle. Once off i can take a look at the frame and plan my course of action. I was thinking about full restoration, but for this one, it would take alot of work. I want to modernize some things. I have a saginaw manual box and another early 70's steering column, tube type, that i can put in. The col;umn that is there now is actually prboen at the mounting pount to the dash. I noticeda piece of PVC that is acting as a sleeve over the borken spot. So I might just sell the top portion, because that bracket would be of use for someone who really needs it. I havent decidedwhat to do withthe front axle. I am pulling the dana 27 out my 63 CJ5, so i was thinking about swapping ring and pinion from one to the other so i can used the 27, but i am leaning more to just swapping the axles, so i can have the carden cross ujoint of the 27. The rear 41 is the 10 spline, so i might replace the spiders and put in my 1963 dana 44 19 spline axles, just to give some strength. I absolutely hate going through the floorboards to access the master cylinder, so i was pondering hanging pedals, but I only have 6 inches from firewall to the Lhead carb, so I have to finda real compact master cylinder. Does anyone know of a small master cylinder than the jeep one that can mount on the early 70's jeep mount?
So i will continue taking everything apart. I will pull the motor and rebuild it on my porch. And when i get to the frame I will decide what to do with it. It looks like the previous owner "boxed" in the frame, becuse i thought the frames were "C" channel, maybe it is a military frame?
I will keep up the pictures.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member
1946 CJ2s Stock and loving it

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 08:25 AM
jeepfiend

Wilwood makes a remote reservoir master cylinder that will mount in the stock location on the Jeep frame with minimal modifications. The reservoir can be mounted on the firewall. I am putting one in my CJ2 for my disc brake conversion. Swapping the 27 for the 25 is a 6 in one hand half dozen in the other situation. The 25 has a slightly weaker birfield, but a strong ring and pinion, and the 27 has the stronger birfields but a weaker ring and pinion. If you are going to go to the trouble of a swap, I would put in a Dana30 or a 44. As far as the rear, I like the D44 over the D41. I have both, but I had an easier time finding parts for the 44. I think that lock-right makes a locker for the 41, but the carriers might be interchangeable between the 41 and the 44. If you find an older 44, they still have the 6-bolt flange, so the disc brake conversion is a piece of cake. The older 44's are fairly plentiful, I actually got 2 complete axles and a spare housing for free. Flatties are great little Jeeps. I have had a couple of them over the years, and I love em'. One thing that will probably need welded on your frame is the front crossmember that the bellcrank attaches to. I have yet to find a stock flatfender that does not have cracks around that crossmember. I am boxing the front of my frame in that location for the saginaw conversion. For your steering column, you can also use the column out of a DJ for the saginaw conversion. Good luck and keep the pictures coming. If you do go for the frame-off, be prepared for several years of repairs.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces! Except for one!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

With this jeep it is going to be a low bucks right now. I am getting married in march and i dont want to ruffle feathers, not a good time. I plan on keeping the Lhead for simplicity. Since I have 5.38 gears in the dana 25 and 4.27 in the 27, I would rather just swap the axles and not mess with the ring and pinion and risk messing it up. So that would be good to use the thicker 25 ring gear and use the stronger 27 axles. possibly thinking about making the rear 41 a flull floater ssine i have it on my 63 dana 44, but i can home brew the 41 FF, but i am kind of scared to see the price for custom shafts. I havent checked out the wilwood products for this project. I will have just about 6 inchs to work with till i hit the carb. A remote cylinder would be great. The 70's column is the right size and i could make it come out the same place as the CJ2A, but I might have cleance problems getting the steering shaft to get ot the Saginaw box.
A wierd thing on the jeep is the springs. the end that mouns to the frame has a square eye, rather than the round eye. I am wndering what kind of springs these are. I wonder if the guys threw on trailer springs. It flexxes like heck though.
I have alot of parts left over from my 63, that i can make this work. Only thing is the brakes are just not there. I have to get back my old 9 inch drums, even though they suc, but I can use them for the rear for now.

1946 CJ2A stock and loving it

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 09:38 AM

Great snag, Dan. Congratulations!
Get your Yahoo account cleaned up, will ya.
It sez it's full and I can't see the pics.

I've a grin on my face to as I FINALLY got posession of the clear title on the red '51 M38 ... I was sweating it as it hadn't been regestered since 1981, the title was lost and the previous owners are out of state.
Now, I can start to work too!

Same story here on both the '76 CJ-6 and the flattie ... bad brakes, bad axels, etc...
I bought a pile of old Jeep parts in Durango including a narrow trac D44 front and a narrow, centered Model 20 rear (both without shafts) so that is a start. The pile also had a T-90/Spicer20 setup, a spare Spicer 20 case, etc ...
We might have to compare our parts lists and set up some trades as we get farther along.
In the mean time ... HAVE FUN!

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I just wnet onto the wilwood site and that master cylinder kit looks great, that is the way i will. I like the old look of the cj2A pedals. I will make some mearuements and see what i have to do. Only thing i do not like is that is is a single chamber, so i guess i have to really get my emergency brake working, i am thinking about doing the disc brake/ emergency brake setup behind the dana 18.

Good job Jaffer. It is much more cofmorting to get a titel when working on a jeep. I dont have a title with this jeep, but Florida is fairly easy to get it titled if your rebuild it. I just have to get an inspection, pay the taxes and other things. I hav the paper work for it. Cool thing is that I can title it the same numbers as the serial numbers on the jeep plates. I noticed that the numbers seem to match, which i may try to keep it that way. I even have the willys tailgate on the jeep that is not as rusted out as most.

1946 CJ2A stock and loving it

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 01:21 PM
jeepfiend

Isn't the original master cylinder also a single chamber? I am going to put a disc e-brake on the back of the t-case, I think I am going to buy the All-Pro kit and adapt it to the D18 t-case. I know this will sound like sacrilege, but I will probably use the Toyota handle and cable as well. I thought about putting two of the Wilwood units on, but then I would have to make pedal linkage and try to find the space for the second master cylinder. I kind of like the pedals on the floor, and really don't want the hassle of the mods for hanging pedals. Luckily I have the title for the CJ2. I have a 58' CJ5 with no title that I bought from a salvage yard. I need to get in and file for a lost title on the CJ5. In Idaho where I will title the CJ5, they are pretty good about lost titles, as long as I have a bill of sale.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces! Except for one!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode