oil in air cleaner - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 05:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

oil in air cleaner

I have had a lot of problems with oil in my 4.2 88 jeep air breather. I have found solutions for the same problem with the 4.0 but the motors do not compare. I have changed the pcv. The oil is coming from the rear tube going from the valve cover to breather.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 06:54 PM

Re: oil in air cleaner

Click on the search heading up above ,when it loads out select "short wheelbase"
just type "s" in the box for BBs to search box ,its quicker.in the words to search for box type "blow by" or Oil in air filter or something simular.
You will find much discussion ,some quick fixes ,etc .Some of these may work for a while,but the worst case scenario is eventually rebuilding or replacing or swapping the engine .Thats the only thing that worked for me.I just got plain tired of screwing with it.
You could have it checked out ,cause it could be something weird ,However if he tells ya it has to be rebuilt ...well it's decision making time.
Sorry if this is bad news but it is "better to light a candle than curse the darkness"

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 08:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

piper-

I have just been through this problem. Bottom line, unless you are willing to put up with oil in air intake, get ready to rebuild the motor.

The oil is forced out of the PVC valve from the blow by getting past the rings. There are many "tricks" offered on this BBS but they are only that, "tricks", as none of them are "fixes". You could do a compression check just to make sure. My 93 YJ 4.0 with 115k had 1 cylinder with 150 lbs, 3 at 120 lbs, and 2 at 10 lbs.

The 258 and 4.0 are not different when it comes to this issue. Sorry to give you the bad news.

Good Luck!
Kriss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 08:57 PM
sentinel

I agree with Saddle Tramp, oil in your intake means you have blow by the rings. I had the same problem. Only fix is to pull all the pistons and change all the rings.

'79 CJ-5
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 08:59 PM

If your PCV valve is working correctly, you've got more blowby than the PCV system can handle, and it's being forced out the breather. Might want to do a wet/dry compression test to varify.
Unfortunately, the only real solution is to rebuild or replace the engine. There are some temporary fixes like putting some kinda of container in the line to catch the oil, but at some point the engine will have to be rebuilt.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 09:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

All that has been said is true. But ask yourself if the motor is otherwise "road worthy". That is are you fouling out plugs ...have a hard time making a grade ....falls flat on it's face ...dadadablablabla

If the engine is otherwise functional ..go with the remedies until the motor is unsuitable for service.
Look here:http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...br=76&lastcat= ...there are other things ..but this is what GM did in the late 70's. It was developed by Grumpy Jenkins to relief crankcase pressure at high rpms in his race cars. GM adopted it a couple of years later in their passenger cars.

GeeAea

Now that I've quit smoking my doctor was pleased to inform me that I'll die in much better health!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 05:57 PM
Enthusiast

If the engine is blowing oil wouldn't this item just dump it into the exhaust system? Just wondering, as I thought at first this would be lower maintenance then my collection can.

“Most people would die sooner then think - in fact, they do so.”
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 06:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yes ...essentially. It just bypasses the "internal combustion" process and uses the afterburner effect avoiding the air cleaner milkshake. It won't cure the problem ...just the symptom. That is, of course, if the engine is otherwise giving acceptable service. I'd never go through the expense of a rebuild for blow -by unless I couldn't use the vehicle. If it was a rod knock or some other destructive condition ..sure...but that's an awful big expense just for blow-by. I guess it all depends on how deep your pockets are and how picky you are about oil consumption. Oil consumption in itself doesn't bother me on an older engine if the thing is giving otherwise good service. It's probably due to my maintaining a small van fleet in one of my more properous business careers.

This system is maintenance free....just add oil as needed[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

GeeAea

Now that I've quit smoking my doctor was pleased to inform me that I'll die in much better health!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode