Your thoughts on: - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Your thoughts on:

Oil pressure gauges, is mechanical better than electrical? Is one more accurate or dependable than the other?

'84 CJ-7, 4.2, 3.5" Lift, 31's, YJ tub, TR upgrade, Moser 1 piece, LED's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 05:48 PM

Re: Your thoughts on:

The best ones are mechanical. Period. Look in any NHRA,nascar, ect. Even aircraft use them as much as possible. There are good electrical ones to as well as crappy mechanical ones, but the best of the best are mechanical.

[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 05:52 PM
YJJP

Mechanical by far ! You generally know without a shadow of a doubt what your engine is up to. If you're going aftermarket, the prices are normally about the same for mechanical or electric. I've found most mechanicall run cheaper. There's a simple piece of mind that goes along with a mechanic guage too. I'm sure you will come up with the same 5/6 different manufacturers that most folks like, how deep is your wallet ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 05:54 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Electrical oil pressure gauges are fine, it's the sending units that suck. Go mechanical.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 06:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like mechanical better than electrical...and I always use copper line...on my jeep I tee'd the line and put in a seven pound presure sender...if the presure drops below seven a big red light comes on on my dash...I once knocked a hole in an oil filter and lost the oil never saw the presure drop till the rods knocked then it was to late...you can't go wrong with stewart warner gauges

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 06:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If you absoloutly, beyond the shadow of a doubt, need to kow EXACTLY what temp/pressure you are reading, then go mechanical. And as stated above, only use copper line. The vinyl line that comes with the gauges is crap and will break when it gets too hot/cold/rubbin' up against something! For a daily driver/mostly street vehicle though, I like a good quality electric gauge. No mess in the interior if a line does leak at a fitting (and it will), and I'm really not concerned if I have 65 or 67 psi of oil pressure. IMHO you can not buy a better gauge, mechanical or electric, than Auto Meter.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 08:47 PM

There are pros and cons both ways. The mechanical is more accurate, but can also be dangerous if that line blows out. Personally, I won't use them because I know someone who killed an engine when the line blow off on the interstate and emptied the crankcase at 70MPH. This was on a car, the risk is a lot greater on a jeep because of the vibration.
The problem with electric is the sending units tend to go bad and give inaccurate reading or stop working all together.
My vote is for electric, but if you do get an electric, don't buy junk, get a good name brand like Stewart Warner or VDO.
If you use mechanical, stay away from the plastic line and use copper.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode