Won't Start (revisited) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Won\'t Start (revisited)

I've posted about this before, and it's similar to cjcreapers problem, but here is the twist. It was solid dead, so I took the battery and soleniod/starter to Autozone. They strapped in the battery it came back good, they had a testing machine, it read good.
They strapped in the soleniod/starter and grounded it and hit it with starting voltage, it turned over great.
Now, I put everyting back in, clean off the connections, and it's still dead.
Well, I saw one of the plugs going to what my manual calls a Motocraft soleniod off, I plug it in, no good, I try another post that's open, and it starts to turn.
here is the layout of the piece
------------------------
- BAL Batt --
- EGR SOL --
_ I G --
------------------------
Some of the posts were on an angle, and I marked what went where when it started, ironicaly It started when the cable coming from the starter/soleniod was on EGR, and I was open.
I'd like to think that I=Ignition, G=ground, Batt=Battery, SOL=soleniod and I have no idea what BAL is.

I'm going to try and jump start it now, but does it sound like this thing is just shot?
The haynes manual doesn't go into detail on what this is on page 5-14.

Any ideas?
It didn't jump start before.
It sounds like I have 2 soleniods? is this right?

88'/4.2L/30's/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Re: Won\'t Start (revisited)

jump starting did not work, same results with or without the other car.

88'/4.2L/30's/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 07:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok I may not understand, and somebody like Leve could definately help but... Do you have a volt meter? I would check and see that the solenoid is switching (can you hear it click?). Also I would maybe try connecting the smaller posts on the solenoid directly to the battery, that would bypass the switch. Assuming all connections are good it sounds like it is either solenoid or starter. You could also take the starter out and bench test it. I am not sure how many volts are supposed to come through the solenoid, I don't think it is supposed to be a full 12 volts but I may be wrong. Good luck, and you may want to do a search Leve has written very good step by step instructions on finding the problem.

David Sanders
http://www.geocities.com/david_sanders_79/jeep.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 07:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's either the ignition switch, starter solenoid, or the wiring. No offense, but those are cheap items. I would just replace them and see what happens. Time is money.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 08:23 PM

Have you tried jumping across from the solenoid to the starter cable, and see if it spins, also does your Jeep have an auto trany, if so the trany lock out switch cable could be off.

My Jeep is a work in progress, Happy Trails
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

We used a volt meter and didn't see any lose in the line down to the starter/soleniod.
The starter/soleniod was tested at Autozone, both were fine, I saw the thing kick over.
It's making a small clicking sound, and if I let it sit and then start it sounds like the engine makes one revolution. It gets as far as to weakly sping the alternator.

Sorry about the repition, but I was a little confused as to what that part was. I will take it to Autozone and replace it.
So in short:
-Gauges work
-Starts to turn over but soleniod just starts to click
-battery and starter/soleniod (thing right on the bell housing) Were both tested at Autozone and work.
-Doesn't sound like it's getting enough to start
even with a jump
-used a volt meter on the battery cables and tested resistance, which checked out on both +,-

I was just confused as to what the name of that thing was on the firewall right next to the battery since Starter Soleniod and starter/soleniod are used interchangeably in the haynes manual and are confusing.

88'/4.2L/30's/
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 10:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey i don't know a thing(or my lawyer told me not to admit to anything)about your year or all those posts on what ever it was but hey give me a chance you said it sorta wanted to turn over it sounds since you had everything checked that you might have one of the most skipped over things look at your cables real good both positive and neg. heck since everything else is new replace the ends on the cables cut them off about an inch and look for corrosion if you see some replace the whole thing. don't forget to look where the cable bolts to starter and block. just an idea

taco
78cj7
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all, I'm going to replace thoose ends on the cables for good measure. Along with that thing on the firewall.
The previous owner said he was a ASE certified electrician. I'm really starting to doubt that.
Anyone else ever have that feeling, like the more you fix stuff on your car the more you just hate the previous owner. Silly stuff, but still, 3 screws required on something, and their all different. Bolts that don't match, and just odd things, I really hope I don't ever run into the guy again.

88'/4.2L/30's/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode