Which Aluminum Radiator for CJ with 4.0? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Which Aluminum Radiator for CJ with 4.0?

I have finally swapped a 94 4.0 into my 85 CJ. The original radiator is shot. I want to use the original CJ fan shroud and 4.0 mechanical fan if possible. Who makes a reasonable priced aluminum radiator with correct inlet/outlet tubes and mounting brackets that will bolt right in to my 85 CJ? Thanks.
--DuaneD

85 CJ8 Undergoing Frame-up Modifications w/94 4.0 transplanted w/T176/Dana300 - Lookin for aluminum or chrome 15x8 spoke wheels to fit CJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Re: Which Aluminum Radiator for CJ with 4.0?

Anybody have any leads?

85 CJ8 Undergoing Frame-up Modifications w/94 4.0 transplanted and T176/Dana300 combo - Lookin for aluminum or chrome 15x8 spoke wheels to fit CJ.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 07:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had one built especially for my Jeep application by Howe Radiator. It fit perfectly and was to the exact specs we had discussed beforehand. They will put the inlets and outlets where you want them, at the proper angles, what ever size you want, mounting surface to fit my CJ was right. Now, I have the stock shroud and it is not a great fit as far as sealing against the radiator because I modified the mounting location after I got the radiator(for other reasons) otherwise I think the stock shroud would have been fine. Give them a call. We exchanged a couple of faxes with drawings and dimensions etc, plus a phone call or two. Took less than two weeks to get it once we agreed on what to build. Due to overheating issues I fought for a long time and couldn't get resolved I went with a "double pass" radiator. I am now running 30+ degrees cooler coolant temperatures. Cost? around $320 if I recall, but the double pass feature added 50 or 60 bucks. To find them just go to www.alumrad.com The company name is McCullough or something like that. If you want more info you can email me through this board. This has been the second best money spent on my Jeep. John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 08:44 AM
Sully

I'm not sure what you consider reasonable priced for an Aluminum radiator but I know a company in SC called Griffin that will build stock spec Aluminum radiators or I think build to suit special ones - but it will cost you $450 or more. They said that if you buy one from a dealer (which they might direct you to) it would be a little cheaper. Look them up on the web and call them if you're interested.

Sully

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 09:24 AM
Way Outta Control

Aluminum radiators are a big improvement in cooling a Jeep. They are lighter, the tubes are welded (not brazed) to the tank. All this neat stuff is wraped up in nice piece of late 20th Centrury technology.

But, as in everything there is a downside... and that's trail repair.

Have you ever worked with aluminum to repair a break or a crack? It can be tricky the first time. You'd best pack nice torch and a few rods of "Super Alloy" (or the like) in your spares kit. Then it's a good idea to learn to use it BEFORE you go on the trail.

It won't be long before a stick or a tree branch, a cactus needle decieds to eat that radiator for lunch. It's not a question of if it will happen, but when. A little preventative measure may be necessary.

I'd also reccomend two other items:

1. The front of the radiator have a steel mesh screen installed to keep out debries
2. A guard installed on the backside of the radiator to prevent the engine fan from eating it if it:
a. Came loose or bent under stress
b. Bent during a water crossing (I know... you ALL take off the fan belt before crossing).
c. Or didn't let the bow wave keep the water out of the engine compartment[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]).

Oh, yes one other thing... bring cash... as aluminum radiators are still pretty spendy to buy and to repair as compaired to their standard ol' brass counterparts. This ain't a rag on them, it's just fact...kinda like compairing EFI and Carbs. Both have thier place, both have their drawbacks and high points.

You pay your money and take your choice (or is that chances?).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode