Thanks for the advice TeamRush... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 04:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the advice TeamRush...

I followed your advice about the accelerator pump duration. On the BBD the adjustment is inside the air horn and the stroke was set way too short. I set it up according to Haynes' specks and it seems to be good.

On another note while I was looking at that I decided to go over basics again. I thought the EGR was sized up, but it wasn't! The diaphram was gone and I was sucking air through the ported vacuum line everytime I hit the throttle! (I am exposed as a fool.)

On to another problem. I originally did the ignition upgrade because the engine would stall regularly at idle only when the weather was damp or rainy. Ran good the rest of the time.
Now, I've done the upgrade and we've finally had some wet weather. It still does it, though not as bad, and not as regularly.
Today I ran it around the streets without the air cleaner on until it showed sighs of doing it, stopped, (nursing the gas to keep it running) leaped out, got the hood up without it dying, and looked down the carb. The steeper needles were in the full forward position, which I think means the computer is trying to correct a lean condition, however there was tons of black smoke coming out the exhaust, indicating a rich condition.

Anyone else had this trouble? Do these computers or oxygen sensors go half bad? I always thought they were a work or don't work kind of thing.

Further details: after finally dying I immediatly restarted it, it idled fine, stepper needles near centered.
I have gone over the grounds I could find, taken them off, cleaned them up, put them back on.
I have tryed cleaning the venturi cluster, twice, neither time did it seem to be plugged.
New fuel filter, old one seemed fine though.
Everything I could think of is packed with diaelectric grease, except the harness connections at the computer. Didn't know if that would be a good idea.

Anyhow, sorry I wrote a book here, but I'm frustrated! Thanks for any help.

Frank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode