Continued electrical problems!! argh!! updated - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 03:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Continued electrical problems!! argh!! updated

Well I just cant seem to track this problem down. I try to start the jeep and the solenoid just clicks. Everything works but the jeep wont start.
List of things done:
-had battery tested and charged, tested good.
-replaced solenoid
-replaced battery cables with 2 gauge cables
-replaced the solenoid to starter cable with 2 gauge cable
-replaced the starter

Tested the battery before starting, 12.22 volts. After all this, nothing. Had to jump start the dang thing to get it to run.
While Idling I tested everything with the volt meter. Battery had 14 volts, alternator putting out 14.5 volts, 14 volts at the solenoid. Last time I jumped it, 3 hours later it wouldnt start. I'll try again in a few hours and see what happens.

Any suggestions? This is starting to piss me off!

cjcrawler
"The Beast"

http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~simmonst/Jeep.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 04:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Continued electrical problems!! argh!!

The fact that it started with a Jump indicate the problem is with the battery dispite your tests. Borrow a battery from someone and swap it in and see if the problem goes away.
I'm sure you have cleaned your battery terminals and clamps but give them another look. I've also been fooled by corrosion where the battery cable connects to the clamp.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 04:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I cleaned everything. Not a spot of corrosion on any of the terminals, heck most of it is new. I had a similar problem about 1 year ago, bought a new battery and that solved everything. There has to be something causing the battery to drain, I cant replace a battery every year just to keep this thing alive.

cjcrawler
"The Beast"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 04:46 PM

You said you had the battery charged and tested, but it should have read at least 12.6 volts when fully charged. Lots of vehicles will not start at 12.2 v. Have the battery brouoght up to at least 12.6, then have a load test applied to the battery, most parts stores do it for free. The test consists of having a carbon pile load of half the cold cranking amps applied for 15 seconds, if the battery falls below 9.6 v, or doesn't bounce back up after the test is over, it's no good.
It has to be a pretty good 12.6 to start. Try that then tackle the power drain problem.

Scott...

My Rides
1979 CJ-7: 304, T-150, much is my rebuild
1985 CJ-7: 258, T-5, for Peru Excursion
1989 XJ: has seen every state except Hawaii

In search of lost paths and distant locations...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 05:10 PM

How was the battery tested? It needs to be load tested. I've seen a few batteries that will be at 12V, but will drop when a load is applied.

you could have a short. I had similar problems but I found the shorted wire, it was easy in my case because the wire that was shorting out was melted. there have been lots of posts on how to find shorts. most methods require removal circuit paths then testing for current draw. try a search.

1989 jeep YJ,4.2L,5spd
room a zoom zoom!!!!!!!!
http://hometown.aol.com/gouldvolts/jeep/jeep.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 05:11 PM
Official Curmudgeon

I agree with MaxW82CJ7with one possible exception. If you connected the jumper ground cable directly to the engine, the problem could be in the battery ground to engine connections. Otherwise, go with what MaxW82CJ7said.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 05:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the battery load tested at the parts store and it came back good, that was when i thought it was dead a month ago.

cjcrawler
"The Beast"

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 06:06 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

You dont think your new solenoid is grounding out ? I`m not much at electrical systems but I had that on my old CJ years ago . Have you disconnected the battery overnight and see if it still does this ?

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 06:18 PM

i would suspect a bad ground. when you jump it with another vehicle's battery, you are using the grounding system from the other vehicle as well. i would check all the grounds and make sure they are clean and tight. make sure the solenoid is snugged down tight as it needs to ground as well.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 08:19 PM

When you say jump started we are assuming with another vehicle/ battery not push starting .Right.
My manual says
1 check connections yada yada you have evidently done all this .hopefully ?
2 disconnect the wire at the solenoid S terminal
3 connect a jumper wire from the battery (+) to the solenoid S terminal if engine cranks Solenoid is not bad.Look for problems in the starter switch circuit.
4 If the engine does not crank connect another jumper wire from the battery
(-) terminal to the solenoid mount bracket.Ensure a good connection is made.If the solenoid now operates it was not properly grounded.
5 If the engine does not crank ,remove the jumpers and connect a heavy jumper cable between the battery and the starter motor terminal of the solenoid if the engine cranks solenoid is defective if the engine does not crank check the starter.

My own personal experiance with whis type problem was caused by an in dash Ampmeter. Took the jeep for a ride parked it went into the store came out it would not start .Replacd everything ,Had mechanics check everything for voltage and what not,everything was good. I can't recollect if I push started or Jumped it but it would start except with the key.Eventually I found that the wires on the ampmeter had come loose.and that was the problem.it now resides in my tool box.
Sorry to beat this dead horse again but thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode