Insurance - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Insurance

Can people tell me the tips and tricks to get the most money from my insurence company if anything is lost, damaged or stolen off my jeep? If anythign were to happen to my jeep i would want to get some extra money from my engine swap, and rear axle, and locker. And my winch, and all the other things i put into it, but i dont know what i have to do now so that if anything happens in teh future i can get the most money for my jeep. Could yall please help.
Thanks
ANdrew

Im good at being a Lil8itch, so im sticking to it!
C/O BBS Chat Room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 11:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Insurance

Receipts and pictures.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 09:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you have put a bunch of money into your jeep and it is worth more than market value you may want to insure your jeep for a "stated value". This is a price that you and the insurance company agree to in advance of a loss. The premium that you pay however will reflect the value of the insurance (IT WILL COST MORE!) but you will be covered for the loss less deductable.

Good Luck!
Kriss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 10:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you have put a bunch of money into your jeep and it is worth more than market value you may want to insure your jeep for a "stated value". This is a price that you and the insurance company agree to in advance of a loss. The premium that you pay however will reflect the value of the insurance (IT WILL COST MORE!) but you will be covered for the loss less deductable.

Good Luck!
Kriss

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 11:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I didn't get the stated value thing but my deductible is $100 dollars. And anything not connected or having to do with the Jeep( celly, CD case) is not covered. But I just document with recipts and sometimes pictures of upgrades.
The only thing I don't like is that the doors have to be locked inorder to have coverage on somethings, I can't explain b\c I don't understand, and I don't lock my doors any way. Just get a low deductible if you are concerned about people swiping things off your Jeep or get the "Stated Value" thing if you are Very very concerned. You will get the coverage but you will pay for it. I am 18 so I pay 1800 a year any way, I don't really notice that much difference for the additional coverage. Or another route is to find a car collectors insurrane firm. My Dad recently switched from state farm to some private firm and now saves atleast $300 dollars on the new policy. The only drawback is that it might have to be a classic car or something, and you have to have a very low "stated" mileage or low useage. BUt they don't check how often he drives it, and its not like he drives it more than once a week. However your Jeep might not be just a trail Jeep it might be your daily driver also.

91 YJ, 4" lift, 33" BFG MT, Herculined tub, Stockie 4 banger, and no money
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 11:46 PM
tdog90yj

I agree with the above posts take pics and keep recipts. When I was 16 my dad and I rebuilt a CJ and had it totalled about a month after I was able to start driving it. We almost took the shaft because lots of the motor work and parts and stuff was done on trade and favors so we had no real documentation to prove what it would cost to replace it. Now when I do things for trade even, I make sure I document and recipt it. Just in case. Also talk to your insurance guy. When I started building my YJ I told him flat out what I was doing with it and what my intenions with mods were, and he was more than understanding. As well as willing to let me use the loop hole of "4x4 or occasional use vehicle" for it even though he and I both know I drive it every day

Travis
Lots of goodies!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 12:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah my friend has been going through this this week, somebody broke into his truck and took his radio and some other stuff. Anyways like stated auto insurance covers things stolen out of your vehicle that are attached, that is things like your in dash radio factory or not. It does not cover things that are not attached from the factory if I understand correctly. Say a subwoofer is not covered unless it came from the factory or not, even if you have secured it. Also home owners insurance will cover some stuff too. My brother had a portable CD player and CDs taken out of his car and it was covered by homeowners. Also auto insurance will cover things like broken glass, or dash. I have heard attached things are covered by auto but I am not sure what attached means, to me it means my winch but they may see it differently.

David Sanders
http://www.geocities.com/david_sanders_79/jeep.htm
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 12:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Also like previously stated reciepts are important, even if you get something off of ebay it is probably a good idea to save the e-mail confirming you won the auction and for how much. Pictures are also another excellent idea. Also on the homeowners insurance thing I am not sure if the car has to be on your property or not, my brothers car was broken in to in our driveway... I really don't live in rough part of town, really.

David Sanders
http://www.geocities.com/david_sanders_79/jeep.htm
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 01:38 PM

or they will drop your covrage ... thats what happened to me

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode