thinkin about the v8 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 09:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thinkin about the v8

aright i think i might do a v8 with a good granny low with the warren winch!!!!! but i still dont know what type of transmition and transfer case!!!!!!! so if you could give me some advise to give me some ideas i would really appriciat it... if i dont want to put it in my jeep im thinkin about goin with the 38's and putting it in my willy's.!!!!

ALL PLANS 4 THE FUTURE TO BUILD AND PUT IN THOUGH!!!!!

john

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 09:43 AM

Re: thinkin about the v8

You will find it really hard to get someone to tell you what to do on here! You will get allot of good suggestions though. You should do some research and make a list of the tranny's, transfer cases, motors, you like and ask about them on here. Then you will get The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, on the part in question. You can start you research here:
<url>http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/</url>
Good Luck:

Rodney C
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 11:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

just a quick suggesstion here...you might want to think about what kind of offroad driving you're gonna encounter (or at least attempt to encounter). If your willys runs well now, drive it like that so you can get an idea of it needs. If you get high centered, look into a lift and bigger tires. If she ain't pullin ya through the rough stuff...then look at a bigger motor or possibly lower gears. Alot of people throw money at their vehicles for stuff they never would've needed. I'm still running my 4 cyl in my 95 YJ and with the 4.11 gears, I'm happy with it offroad. A plan will really help you get your Jeep where you want it to be faster and cheaper then if you just tear it apart and throw the biggest and most expensive parts in there.

Jay
95 Wrangler Rio Grande...She's gettin there - I'm all about the 4 cyls
http://www.geocities.com/heavycream
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 09:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

liljeepdude02-

Because you are going to be building up an old CJ your main problem is going to be space to fit all the hardware. The Spicer 18 x-case that you have in the jeep now is really your only choice. I put a Chev 350 into a a CJ 2A once with the stock T90 tranny and Spicer 18 x-case behind. The only problem I had with this set up was that I blew out the tranny and the differentials from the power of the V8.

I suggest that you decide what motor that you want to put in the jeep first (ie 4,6,or 8) then pick what brand (AMC, Chev or Ford). Once you have decided what motor you want, select a tranny that is a direct mate with the motor and bell housing of that motor. This will save you a bunch of money for adapters and work. There are several to choose from for Ford, Chevy or AMC. Try going to the <A HREF=off-road.com>off-road.com<A/> tech pages and do a search of motor, tranny, and x-case combos.

Good Luck!
Kriss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode