CJ7 SOA - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

CJ7 SOA

I am under the impression that the more arched (lift) in the springs the harder the ride. If this is so, will a set of stock springs SOA give a better (softer) ride that 4" or more springs under the axle? If so, what springs would be best to use?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 09:26 PM

Re: CJ7 SOA

yes they are supposed to ride much better, and also flex better if that is important to you.

stock rear CJ springs, or YJ springs at all 4 corners is a pretty popular set up.

Im in process of SOA CJ5 cj rears all 4 corners, and some wagoneer springs to mix and match if I dont like the height or ride.
basically any 2.5 inch wide spring can be a leaf donor at least, and possibly a complete spring package.

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

How hard is this conversion? I already have 4" springs and shackle lift, so things like brake lines and pitman arms are not necessary. Should I get a set of stock CJ or YJ springs? Does it require welding? I have read that Rubicon makes a kit, is it worth getting?

The springs I have now are way too stiff, and they are sagging. That is why I am considering doing this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 10:24 PM

My buddy and I just did an SOA on his 83 cj you will have to do welding on the perches. Also you will have to have a new drag link thats curved to miss the spring. as for a kit all you need is perches and the link a good fabrication shop might be a good idea to.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 10:53 PM

skip the kit it only contains the things that are very easy to make yourslef or source elswhere cheaper, it doesnt address the things youll need like spring wrap bar, and steering linkage.

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Any instructions online for this?

What is a drag link?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 11:26 PM
nxcj

Do a search on this bbs and any others you go to (this has the best info though). If you're keeping the stock axles it's a bit easier. Wider axles, you'll need to outboard the springs, etc. You'll likely need a CV rear shaft. Steering is best handled with a high-steer set up. I believe JEEPGOD (help me if my memory slipped guys) has good info for this on his site. A twisty drag link will get it done...but it's not the best way to handle it.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 11:55 PM

A dana 44 swap at the same time as the SOA, makes going to a high steer set up much easier and more affordable. The flat top knuckles for the D44 are easy to obtain.
Using stock springs will mean that an anti wrap bar will need to be addressed before your 1st aggressive ride on the trail. I have seen stock springs wrap to the point of FUBAR within hours on the trail.
S shaped drag links, can help to avoid hitting springs and such, but they do absolutely nothing to improve the poor geometry of the steep drag link angle.
In order to achieve propper front pinion angles, the front knuckle have to be rotated in some instances to maintain propper camber/castor.
Just a few things to think about.

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

OK, I am confused. Why would I need a CV rear shaft? What is a high-steer set up?

Right now my Jeep has custom springs that are arched to about 5.5" and 1/2" Shackle lift. My current setup sucks, it is a hard ride.

I am having a hard time understanding why a SOA lift will require different drive shafts or different steering. The lift will be about the same as what I have now???????

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 11:48 AM

Your current set up may have close to the same lift as an SOA but it does not flex like an SOA will flex.
Your steering and drivelines will be pushed to limits that they havent seen before.
You can go ahead and weld on some perches, and flop your springs on top, then come back and ask the same ol, how do I fix this and that questions, or you can heed the words of experience.
I am getting ready to SOA a freinds 94 YJ, and will be swapping a D44 and Ford 8.8 at the same time. Ill take a few pics durring the modifications, and maybe do write up on someones web site.

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode