CJ7 SOA - Page 3 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 11:46 AM

Re: CJ7 SOA

86, I think you would best to stay with a SUA. by your comments, i think you are just wanting the ride height and are not worried about the flex that you gain from the SOA. It is alot of work, that is not what you want to begin with. I suggest you keep your old springs and loosen them up. do they have the crimped leaf clamps or the bolt kind? if they have the crimped ones like my Superlift. Take a hammer or something and open the clamps up. It will ride alot better that way. Get 1" poly body mounts and use your 1" shackles.
Presto! 6" lift and less than half the work! and it will still drive halfway decent.

Why do you want 6" of lift? what size tires are you wanting to install?

76 CJ, well what is left of it! working on my YJ-7. YJ frame, YJ tub, 2" BDS SOA D44's F&R 258, T18 and D20
Will trade extra kidney for Jeep parts!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 03:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

about the worst driving characteristics that i have with a soa.. is the front will nose dive under breaking.. but i dont have any working shocks in the front.. so go figure.. but like stated above.. if you do a soa correctly.. including the steering.. and do a shackle reversal.. correctly.. it will ride like a dream.. my jeep now.. rides better than any other i have owned.. steers wonderfully.. rides good.. with no shocks at all.. (cant wait to get some good ones)...
by the sounds of it.. you are just going to have to suck it up... since you are not listening to anyone here.. why do you need 6" of lift? i take it for the tires you have now... i would do what dirt dog said.. and get out and use the springs.. but you mentioned they are custom? let me guess.. re-arched? if so they will always be stiff.. unless you loose some leafs.. then you loose hieght..
my suggestion would be to go with a good 4" lift spring... BDS, skyjacker.. those are fairly good riding springs.. for a 4" lift.. then find yourself 2" elsewheres.. 1 shackle.. 1 body.. or get some 1.5 shackles.. and just miss your .5"...

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>If you are allergic to lead, it is best to avoid a war zone</font color=orange>
post #23 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

How do the BDS 4" springs ride? The springs I have now are so stiff that I am scared to try them. That is why I was thinking about the SOA conversion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 06:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Scared to try then how? All new springs will be stiffer then when they been used and broken in. BDS springs are pretty decent, and if I hadn't gone to a SOA, I would have replaced my tired SuperLift springs with BDS.

But from everything you've posted on this thread, I'd agree with the rest of the posts, its probably not what you really want to get into. I'm not a big body lift fan, but I am running a 1" body lift on my jeep and I don't think its "ugly"... Though, I do think 3" starts looking kinda ugly, aside from the other issues associated with them, well, wheeling them anyway. For around town driving it'd be fine.

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
http://www.tidesys.com
post #25 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

After reasearching it here I think you guys are right. I am going to stay away from the SOA for now. My problem is the springs I have now really suck and I want to make sure I don't replace them with something simmilar. I already have 1/2" lift shackles so if I add 4" springs and a body lift I wshould be in business. I was hopeing the SOA was easier so I could get a better ride.

post #26 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 07:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i have heard good things about the bds springs.. but i have felt great things from the skyjacker softride springs.. IMHO nothing comes close to the skyjackers.. flex great.. ride great.. but like i said.. i have first hand knowledge with them.. im not knocking bds.. since i have heard good things about them.. and from what else i have heard they are a good company to deal with..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>If you are allergic to lead, it is best to avoid a war zone</font color=orange>
post #27 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 04:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ- there are an alot of postings and articles here and other places on doing SOA.Your first step is to spend a good amount of time reading about it.It aint hard,buts its probably a helluva lot more work and engineering than you picture at the moment.Do you weld? Do you have a buddy thats a GOOD welder? If not , your gonna give like $400 more or less bucks to one.By the time it's all said and done and rollin again.Believe it or not.And thats assuming you still do all the figurin and cyferin and fittin yourself.I invite others comments who have done SOA on this.Study up on it and you'll begin to decide if you really wanna do it or not. Could someone post a link for him on the soa article by ?Nutter? that starts out "The sage jeeping guru.... Thanks Marc in MN

k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode