el cheapo - custom wheels - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

el cheapo - custom wheels

OK, folks...

time for some old chilean Atacama-Dessert "el cheapo" trick...

look at the pic...

what we did was to un-weld the center plate of the cheapest 10" steel rim (MANGELS, made in brazil), invert the wheel, and re-weld the center plate... the valve-stem is also re-drilled...

you can see from the purple lines where the center plate was in its original position (inverted) - basically what you see, is the side of the rim the originally points to the center of the axle.

you can move the center plate at your discretion (within limits of reason)

also note that the "wide-lip" of the rim is now outside... this makes it literally impossible to pop a bead even at low-low pressure, like used in the atacama-sand-dunes

the local cost was 8 bucks per wheel... this mod has proven its value on well over 100 4x4 over the past 20 or so years...

on the top right pic you can see that the "narrow-lip" was originally outside.

i hope you can get something out of this...

take care, alfred

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-642426-tire.jpg (97.4 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 08:20 PM

Re: el cheapo - custom wheels

Did, or can you even balance or true the wheels? Or is this an off-road only mod? Kinda cool anyway. I've never seen this done before.

The land of the <font color=red>FREE</font color=red>, and the home of the <font color=blue>BRAVE</font color=blue>.
[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 09:07 PM

OK, maybe I'm missing something here Alfred (and I think I AM, caus you generally have some COOL mods), but it looks like all you did was to change the back-spacing on the wheel. What am I missing?

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 09:14 PM

I noticed looking at factory Jeep steel agon wheels, the center hub is only held on by like 4-5 1" beads.

Im not sure there is alot of balancing built intot he design, its probably mostly compensate for in the tre balancing, im speculating there, its an interesting question I hope someone will answer!

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 10:30 PM

Bluesman, what he did was to flip the rim inside out. That is to cut the center out and to spin it so that the back side was now facing out.
Also I wasn't really meaning balance as much as how to keep the wheel true. (wobble side to side and if it didn't fit tight as heck it would be out of round too)

The land of the <font color=red>FREE</font color=red>, and the home of the <font color=blue>BRAVE</font color=blue>.
[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 05:49 AM
Mud in my Veins

I had a set of Jackman Bug wheels widened up in VA many years ago. I took them up to there and actually watched them do the first one. They had a very large lathe (had like a 15" dropped bed) with some jigs that held everything true. The center was on the chuck, and the rim was on something that mounted to the bed, kinda like a "steady rest". On mine, they ground/cut out the centers, sliced the rim in half, welded in a 7" wide "extension", and rewelded the center. I just stood there with my jaw dropped (17 year olds are SO impressionable [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]). Back then, it was damn near impossible to find 12" wide rims. They came out very good and true. I mounted a set of 35x12.50 smooth ribbed "implement" tires in the front and a set of Desert Dog (Armstrong?) on the rear. Didn't take much to balance them and they rode great on trips to the Outer Banks. Then again, 35"s (@ 100lbs. each) on a stock '70 bug suspension, created it's own issues.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Caver Dave
'72 Commando
Oo=====oO
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Bluesman, what he did was to flip the rim inside out. That is to cut the center out and to spin it so that the back side was now facing out.
Also I wasn't really meaning balance as much as how to keep the wheel true. (wobble side to side and if it didn't fit tight as heck it would be out of round too)

[snip]

yes, thats what's been done ...

there are some MINIMAL vibrations, but i still do NOT have the tires balanced yet... so I guess at the end of the day, they will run as smooth as a set of 33" MTs can run on an 6" lifted and 40yrs+ old jeep design ;o)

so the wheel is true (or 99,9% true :<)... and i figure, if a local chilean shop can get it 99,9% right, your US shop will add 0,1% of "trueness" ....heheheh

i will keep you updated on how they do in the long run.... from what i have heard, wheel bearings are not really an issue...

quote: "instead of 20yrs the bearings will only last 15" ...

i can live with that...

take care,
alfred

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 09:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Alfred,
I noticed that dent in the fender... is that a new war wound or was the fender like that during the build-up? Looks like you have been playing lately. Keep up the good job.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member
1946 CJ2A stock and loving it

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 09:51 AM

Alfred I wan'st wondering if a shop could do it. I know thats no problem. I (mr. cheapo) Was trying to figure out a way to jig one in the garage to keep it where it needed to be. I still think I could with enough care. I'm just trying to weigh the time involved to the gain. I know most beads are lost to objects on the outer side, but aired down a bunch it still seems like it would be kinda eay to lose a bead on the shallow side. Let me know how it works out for you.

[email protected]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

the fender-ding....

when my shop-friends picked up the stocker to "go to town" with it... they did not pull it rather they drove it to the shop...

He forgot that the breaks only work on the second bump and hit his brothers toyota... ironically the damage happend as the stock bumper was too low for a hilux's bumper...

no problem there anymore ;oP

alfred

ps: in other words: not guilty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode