Which suspension for CJ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Which suspension for CJ?

I'm probably about to open up a big can of worms, but I need some advice on suspension systems.
I'm pretty close to doing my axle swap, and considering replacing the suspension at the same time. It's got an unknown lift (PO said 4") that was there when I bought it. All the bushings are worn out, one side has had a leaf added to compensate for sag, the shocks are worn out, it rides like %$#@, has 0 flex, and is just generally in bad shape.
My budget for this project would be about $600. What should I be looking at in this price range? Here are some options I've considered:
Trailmaster 4": $479
Skyjacker w/nitro shocks: $539
Superlift: $529
Rough Country: $389 (without shocks)
Proc Comp is also in my price range, but everyone says it's "Pro Crap" so I haven't considered it.

How do I tell how much lift I actually have now? I've got about 7" between the axle tube and bump stop. I'm running 33's, which fill the fender well nicely, but don't rub.
I know I'm gonna get 30 completely different opinions, but I'd like to know the pros and cons of each system so I don't throw away $600.

Thanks

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 04:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Which suspension for CJ?

You seem to be in the same boat as myself. Check my post. There might be some info you can use. I too want the best bang for the buck and have decided on the Rubicon Express Extreme system for my '83 CJ7. Its more than I want to pay but I hate throwing good money away on inferior equipment. I'll keep an eye on your post to see if you drum up any more good info I can use. Good luck.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 04:19 PM
Old Hand

BDS has gotten good feedback on this board I've seen. I got their 4" lift kit for my '76 CJ-7 but haven't finished the Jeep yet so I don't know how it drives. The kit was about $440 shipped and comes with springs, bushings, transfer case drop, pitman arm, and no shocks. the springs have a military wrap.

If you do a search you can find some recent threads regarding BDS.

Mark
83 CJ-7 and 76 CJ-7 with stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 04:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah check the other thread it should get you started. I think pro-comp has gotten to bad of a rep, it may not be the best but it is not all bad. Flex it up some to break in the springs, make sure the bushings are lubed, shackles are not over tight, take off the sway bar and it will help alot. Maybe get some different shocks that are softer than the ones that come with the lift (9000s would be nice) and I don't think it would be bad. All that to say if you can scrounge up the cash the best kit from what I have gathered as far is perfomance is the extreme duty rubicon express, that is the most complete kit and performance. It is a little more expensive than most kits though. I have heard that the soft rides ride goood, no doubt better than pro-comp. I think it would help if you say what you want performance, ride comfort or best deal for the money. I think I have heard that the BDS lift is a good lift for the money. I'm sure some people will disagree with me, but thats the beauty of this board. I can only relay what I have read and from my first hand experience with pro-comp.

David Sanders
http://www.geocities.com/david_sanders_79/jeep.htm
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 06:03 PM

why not get creative...

get some long junkyard leaves (the longer the better), some good spring perches, a drop pitman, shocks, brake lines and go spoa...

it might not be what you had in mind, but i guess it can be done for way less than 600 bucks, and the results would be really great...

do a search for soa on this board... the nice thing on the spoa is you can do it on installments... if money is thight, skip the break-lines and use you old shocks as "droop-limiter" for a couple of months... then do the rest, but do it by the book... :<)

alfred

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 06:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Stay away from the superlifts. They sag way to fast. My springs are two years old and are trashed. My next set will be bds springs.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 09:46 PM

This is probably a dumb question, but what is Alfred talking about "longer leafs" for SOA?? Why?

Greg
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

I'm guessing longer leafs for more lift.
I seriously doubt I'll be doing SOA, tho' I'm not really wanting any more lift, just wanting to replace the worn out and abused lift I have.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I think it would help if you say what you want performance, ride comfort or best deal for the money.

<hr></blockquote>

I guess what I'm really looking for is best performance for the money. One of the main things I'm looking for is more flex. I'd like to be able to put one wheel on on a rock without the other one coming off the ground [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
I also want to go with something that isn't going to sag in 6 months
I'm not overly concerned with ride comfort, I'm used to the rough ride. Just want the best performance I can get for the $$$
Where can I find info on the BDS and Rubicon express kits?
Rubiconexpress.com still has a 1999 catalog online, and it doesn't list a CJ kit.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 09:53 PM

I got my superlift from national tire. It was less than 400 and came with shocks. As soon as it is thrashed I'm going soa.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode