Need Tranny - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Pog

Need Tranny

I Need a tranny for an 88 yj. 5spd, Original is a peuguote anything that would work would be fine just need it asap. Thanks Also it hooks up from a 258 and into a np 231.

Ride 'N' High
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 09:34 AM

Re: Need Tranny

Yes, you asked for a transmission not a bunch of lame ideas of where to find one or what to use... but - I don't have one, sorry. Best I can do is this.
I know a guy near Grand Rapids, MI who has an AX-15/NP231 with bellhousing ready to bolt in a YJ behind a 4.2L - the thing is he paid too much for it and is not willing to sell it cheap. I saw something like this on http://www.dirtroad.com/ classifieds section. I think it was in the Eastern Canada area.
You could check e-bay http://www.ebay.com, the type of transmission you need is up for auction fairly often.
Options for you to cinsider or hunt down -

AX-15 from a later YJ or TJ can work. Get the belhousing with it. Also get the transfer case (sell yours to recover some of the cost) because the transfercase input is different - I think 21 spline on BA-10 to NP231 and 23 spline on AX-15 to NP231.

T-5 can work. Get the Bellhousing. You will also need a NP231 transfercase (23 spline input) from adifferent YJ (or TJ) as the T-5 was mated to a D300 wqhich is passenger side drop. Then you will need a spacer or something of the like to fit the NP231 to the T-5. Available from AA.

Using a T-5 would probably be lowest cost as the transmission itself is usually cheaper.

Advance Adapters sells the World Class T-5 in a kit that will bolt to your YJ. The kit is not cheap but quality is good. AA also has a kit to swap in a NV4500 (grunt-grunt).

TF999 auto from YJ or TJ will also work. I am not sure of transmission output spline count. Check what is what before diving in on this one. You will also need shifter, flexplate & torque convertor.

TF727 auto from a GW that was mated to a NP208 could be an option. Again, check transmission output spline count.

More points to ponder - Both the T-4 (same as T-5 only 4spd) and the SR4 (lighter duty than T-4/5) will fit in same plase as a T-5 and are cheaper yet.

Hunt salvage yards for a swap... With adaptors, almost any tansmission can be adapted to fit your YJ. Find a Jeep T-150 bellhousing. This is a stock Jeep item and will allow most any Ford transmission to bolt to your 4.2L. Get the Ford transmission and transfer case and save many dollars in adaptors (Fords are driver side drop). I remember reading about a GM 2.8L V6 bellhousing will fit to an AMC engine w/slight modification - can't remember if it was to the 2.5L or the other AMC engines... anyway, this could be a cheap adaptor for GM manual transmissions.

If you can do the work yourself you will save much dollars. Even if the swap doesn't require it - replace the clutch plates and resurface the flywheel.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 03:55 PM

Re: Need Tranny

I saw this today...

http://www.gljt.org/cgi-bin/classifieds.pl?read=1161

Also, at least one AX-15 is on e-bay current.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode