How much is too much ($) for a rebuilt 258? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 02:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How much is too much ($) for a rebuilt 258?

This post may get exciting. My 258 is dog tired 220k miles and never opened up. Should I rebuild it, trade it in for a newly rebuilt 258 longblock, convert to V-8, and how much is too much for the price on a longblock 258. I have been checking out local shops and have been quoted as high as $3100 for a rebuilt longblock 258. Again, don't let my ignorance entertain you too much, I'm learning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 03:32 PM

Re: How much is too much ($) for a rebuilt 258?

I have seen a site on the web. that sells 270hp 4.2L Jeep engines. I think they go for about $2700 but that is the long block. The name of the site is www.golensengineservice.com check them out. I am sure someone else has heard of them or even used them.

A buddy just put an Advance Auto parts crate motor in his. It is actually from Recon. He seems happy with it for now. I think he paid $1100. just my .02

76 CJ7, 258,Jeep T18, D20 TC, D30 & AMC20.
4" Superlift, 33" SSR's
Will trade extra kidney for Jeep parts!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 04:06 PM
Addict

If you want to stay 6 cylinder, change to a 4.0. You get the fuel injection without the pinging problems that the conversion gives. Don't waste time or money on a 258.

For a little more, go V-8. The mileage sucks, but nothing sounds better than a V-8 under the hood.

CJ-8, 4.0, NP435, D44 x D60, ARB's, 4w Disc, 2"YJ springs, SOA, 1" Body lift, 38.5" TSL SX

CJ-6, Cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 04:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd say consider putting a 4.0 head with fuel injection onto your 258. Kind of the best of both engines. Do a search you should be able to find some good info about this.

David Sanders
http://www.geocities.com/david_sanders_79/jeep.htm
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 04:41 PM
Official Curmudgeon

You didn't mention your preference.

Re3buildable 258's are dirt cheap. If you are able to rebuild it yourself you should be able to pick one up in the $125 range or less. I tried to give one away, had several people said they wanted it but nobody actually came by and picked it up. Finding a rebuildable would let you build your engine while you still drive the Jeep. I was pretty happy with the one I rebuilt with a little four-barrel carb on it. It lasted 87k miles and I am by no means a professional engine builder. I never bother with ring gap or use plasti-gauge.

After the second 258, I found a 305 tuned port. I wanted a 350 but I couldn't pass up the 305 complete with all accessories (P/S pump, A/C comp, alternator, etc.) for $700. I'd think you could do a V8 conversion for less than that $3100. GM basic 350 crate engines are cheap. Add for a bellhousing or adapter, motor mounts, accessory brackets, intake manifold and carb, and other odds and ends and you should come out at about the $3100.

Don't know squat about the 4.2.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 04:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I guess my preference would be to stick with the 258. I have been happy with it for many years except its been a while since it had any power to speak of. I like simple, quick, and most bang for the buck. My cash flow for my jeep doesn't come easy which is why I haven't done any mods ever to it. I will post before and after pics in here soon. You all will laugh when you see where I've started. Hopefully you all will be pleased to see where its going. I know I will. Thanks for the input.

Randy
'83 CJ7
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 07:48 PM

I can get an AMC 360 V-8 with all accessories and in good running condition for $400 from a local 'yard. They even have two to choose from. There are decent deals out there, and since V-8s actually came stock in some CJ-7s you can still order the right motor mounts from an auto-parts store. Otherwise, the 258 in my '89 Wrangler was working well enough to break my tranny. I'll be selling it when I put the 360 in (its got a Weber 38 and GM HEI on it, too)

'89 Comanche, '89 Wrangler, '74 Postal
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 08:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

For what it is worth I have a Golens Engine service 258 in my Jeep, 4 bbl, hearder, etc......Very nice engine.........but it depends on what you would like to do with what you have.

The more I read......the more I wish I would have gone D44's and a V8....with the right tranny and TC of course. But mine is a third vehicle...so it might be a different story than yours.

But it really depends on what you want to do.

Post more on what you want to accomplish(off road, every day driver), budget.....etc.
If you want to know more about the Golen engine let me know.

Edder

Do you smell that?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 09:22 PM

Try http://www.powerpro2000.com/lb_amc.htm

$1400 for a long block isn't bad, and you can't argue with a 5yr/100,000 mile warranty. I run one in mine, and they've always been VERY quick on the warranty service.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 11:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just rebuild the 258, it can be done for well under a grand, including the machine work on the block. Swapping engines involves wiring and a whole lot of other issues, unless you really want something different it is not something you may be prepared to delve into. The 258 is a fine motor, indestructible, tons of low end grunt. If you want to perk it up a little the 4.0 head like previously suggested is a good upgrade. I did a 258 a year ago, all new NAPA parts, top of the line ignition parts, aluminum valve cover, and it came in well under a grand.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode