Question regarding T98/T18A rebuild - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Question regarding T98/T18A rebuild

Ok, relatively simple question...

HOW THE %#&*@!#@$%#! DO YOU REMOVE THE REVERSE SHIFT LEVER?!?!?

Apologies for the tone of voice. Trying to "disengage the ...lever and remove it from the pivot arm" as the manual so blithely instructs is about to give me an aneurism. Thank you in advance.

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 11:55 AM
cj7jeep

Re: Question regarding T98/T18A rebuild

Are you talking about the shifter lever or fork? Give a little more info.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

ok, I'll try to be as specific as possible...

The tranny is a T98. Shift cover is off. Reverse is activated by a lever on the left side (the offending lever in question) at the end of which is a shift boot riding in a sleeve on the reverse cluster gear. To remove the lever, I'm instructed to simply disengage the shift boot from the sleeve and then remove the lever from the pivot arm. The lever is about 1/4" hardened steel and does NOT bend, so prying the boot out of the sleeve has proven impossible. There is no apparent way to retract the pivot arm from outside the case, so I can't do that first. This single step is preventing me from disassembling any other part of the transmission, making me quite unhappy. I'm hoping I'm just missing something simple.

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 12:43 PM
cj7jeep

Had a T18a apart, never a 98. It's been a long time, on the 18 i remember all the shifter forks hooked to the top cover and all came out together. Sorry I can't be more help. Hopefully this will catch someone elses attention. Does the tranny neeb to be in certain gear to remove the lever? Good luck.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 01:28 PM

my later model T18 didnt have that lever that pivots off the tranny case, that must be the differn e in shifting revers over and up or over and back.

sorry, I cant relate hands on, sounds like youve already got a manual

contact Dan Pawlack, among others he has been very generous with T18 tranny info for me.

I no longer have his email, but im sure someone here knows him

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 08:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are you referring to the shift fork or the shift rail? The reverse fork on my T18 was attached to the side of the case. Is this the way yours is? If so, that never has to come out, but is the last thing removed from the case if you want to take it out. As for the T18A, it is the same. I have not taken apart any T98's and do not know how it differs. Jay Donato on this board has rebuilt a T98 and may be able to help you out. his email is [email protected]

cjcrawler
"The Beast"

http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~simmonst/Jeep.htm
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 10:32 AM
Nickmil

There is a small tapered solid retaining pin that fits in the boss that the pivot goes in that runs perpendicular to the pivot pin. That has to be removed before you can remove the pivot and thus the arm. If you are just trying to disassemble the tranny then remove cluster shaft so the cluster drops to the bottom of the case, remove front and rear roller bearings, remove main drive gear (input gear and shaft), shift 1-2 slider gear into 2nd gear, shift 3-4 slider sleeve into 3rd, move top of lever so it is as far as it will go towards the rear of the trans (so reverse idler is all the way forward), and carefully remove the mainshaft assembly. You will need to angle the front of the mainshaft up and then slide the assembly out. It's tight, but will come out. Good luck. Nickmil.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode