bad AX-15. dosn't hold oil - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

bad AX-15. dosn\'t hold oil

does anyone have any recommendations on getting my AX-15 in my 1989 wrangler fixed. does anyone have any recommendations on a place to get rebuilt transmissions?

It's been hard to shift into first from neural, and started to whine, and is makes a whirring noise at stop in neutral with the clutch out. put clutch in, the whirring goes away. it's been 200 miles since fluid was checked by the guys at jiffy lube. I checked it today and the thing was empty. I filled it but previous symptoms persist. it does shift better. I don't think my Trans has much life left.

I'm in san Jose/ California. does anyone have any recommendations on a place to get a rebuilt Trans?

1989 jeep YJ,4.2L,5spd
room a zoom zoom!!!!!!!!
http://hometown.aol.com/gouldvolts/jeep/jeep.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 11:36 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: bad AX-15. dosn\'t hold oil

Don't trust Jiffy Lube! Just cuz they said they checked/changed it dosen't mean they did. I have heard horror storys about them not changing filters and things of that nature. But I do have first hand knowledge of their shoddy work as well. One of my good friends dad used to go there religiously. He would pay a little extra every time for the chassis lube. Then one day while he was parked in the 7-11 parking lot, one of the tie rods fell off the steering knuckle. I don't mean the nut came off and it fell out, I mean the part failed and broke because Jiffy Lube took his money to grease it but from the look of things they never did. The whole front end was dry as a bone. Just an FYI to all you guys that go to the quick lube places.

"Every form of refuge has it's price."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 02:23 PM
Way Outta Control

1. Fill out your profile.
2. Switch from the Quick Lube place to doing it yourself.
3. AX-15 rebuilds are not cheap.
4. Where's it leaking from?
5. Consider fixing it youself.
6. Possible input bearing/shaft or throw out bearing problems.
7. Go <font color=red>HERE</font color=red> to veiw the manual on the transmission.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 02:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The AX-15 is a good light duty trans, lots better than the T-5 used in the CJs and light years better than the Peugot used in early Wranglers. It would be worth it to copy the manual LEVE pointed you to, remove the trans yourself and scope it out. Manual trans are very straighforward, there are no mysteries there, if you have a good manual you can do a rebuild MUCH cheaper than if you paid for it, and learn something in the process. And if you are still afraid to do it yourself, at least save yourself a couple hundred and pull it yourself. Oh yeah, one more thing, figure out where it is losing fluid from FIRST, get yourself a can of Gunk or some similar product, clean it off real good, fill it back up, drive it a little, get under there and scope out where it is leaking from.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 10:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1. Fill out your profile.
> profile filled
2. Switch from the Quick Lube place to doing it yourself.
> I live in an apartment. a 35 year old 3 bedroom house costs $450,000.in San Jose. But I took a buddy wheeling today and he had so much fun, he said I can do weekend work in his garage.
3. AX-15 rebuilds are not cheap.
> Collins bros. has Trans for $1K .are they any good?
4. Where's it leaking from?
>I couldn't see it. it was dripping through the holes in the skid plate. Also, I have a oil leak on the engine that's made everything down there very gooey. I drove it through a bunch of mud today and crested on the skid plate, so maybe it's clean!! Man this little thing really wheels!!!
5. Consider fixing it yourself.
>I'm thinking about it. I guess the syncs are good. Are the bearings press fit into the case?
6. Possible input bearing/shaft or throw out bearing problems.
 I think that the Trans is damaged, it's probably the input shaft. it was probably done when it ran out of fluid. The whirring noise goes away once the clutch is pushed in.. IE the throw out bearing is under full load on the pressure plate.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Greg.

1989 jeep YJ,4.2L,5spd
room a zoom zoom!!!!!!!!
http://hometown.aol.com/gouldvolts/jeep/jeep.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode