DAMN WHISTLING - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 07:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

DAMN WHISTLING

ok ok ok, I've heard it all. Vac leak, intake manifold bolts loose, ect. But the fact remains that my 91 YJ, just f*#$ing whistles no matter how tight anything is. the whistling is definetly coming from down the air tub somewhere and i can hear it beacause i have a cone filter (thanks rusty) on the end of it. I think that its a problem with the engineering of the intake itself because it doesnt occure unless I have my foot on the gas a little. I stop it, it stops. I let off the gas it stops. If anyone has any idea on how to get rid of it, please lemmie know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 08:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: DAMN WHISTLING

Easiest solution is to remove the cone filter and replace it with the stock air box. That whistle is the reason the factory doesn't use high flow filter. You hit the gas and the engine sucks in air. More air goes through the cone filter and the whistle begins.

'88 Sahara, 4.2 that runs thanx to every Cheap trick on this board. The rest is getting there![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 08:27 PM
Mud in my Veins

I rode with a guy that had a "rocket tube"(?) on a YJ. It whistled like a turbo or something.
I think all you'd have to do is breakup the air a little with a bolt/strap thru the tube. Well, maybe it'd work....

Caver Dave
'72 Commando
Oo=====oO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 09:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah i know the airbox will fix it...but i dont want to lose any power, hehe. I have a powerful YJ. I have the filter, high flow cat, flowmaster a low temp stat, and a stage 2 jet chip. i burn all the rice rockets. I did it all so i could still have power when i put them 31's on

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 09:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the very same problem on my 83 CJ7 258 with standard air box. Damndest thing. I gave up trying to find it after replacing every friggin hose under the hood. I'm not buying the fact that your cone filter is the culprit. Good luck...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 11:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you can bear it leave it alone.. mine does the same thing.

It comes from the air being spun so fast it whistles. I put a body spacer on and it whistles now. they say that it cools the air, and carries it into the combustion chamber better.. Something like that, but they people say it aint bad.

JR

The road is calling, Ignore it!!
There is life after asphalt.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 11:55 AM
Frank360

Mine ol' 360 does the same thing, but I can't remember if it only started after I put the K&N filter on there... but I feel reassured that it isn't a real problem, like my temperature gauge that just quit !!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 12:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree that it comes from air into the airtake as well. I recently replaced my stock airbox with some pvc and a cone filter. I got the filter up higher than the stock airbox so it would be less likely to suck in water and I figured an open air element might help free up some horseys over the stock restrictive airbox. I noticed the whistle right after I did it. It doesn't particularly bother me though cause my exhaust is so loud, at higher RPMs it just gets drowned out.

Jay
95 Wrangler Rio Grande...She's gettin there - I'm all about the 4 cyls
http://www.geocities.com/heavycream
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode