HELP my clutch is making noises - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

HELP my clutch is making noises

when i started my jeep last weekend, a strange whining noise was comming from underneth. i have a buddie with a 83 scrambler and his jeep has about the same noise, he says its something with his clutch. and when i accelerate it gets louder with rpm untill i shift and does it again...what the hell is wrong here?

89' jeep wrangler yj, saraha, 4" skyjacker, HEI conversion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 05:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: HELP my clutch is making noises

Sounds more like a tranny input shaft bearing to me. Does it get louder when you disengage the clutch. Does it change if you partially disengage the clutch. If it does neither then I'd say you have a bad trans bearing.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 05:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mine makes a funny noise also. I can't figure it out b\c if I lightly keep my foot on it then it is totally quiet. I have checked the fluid and it is fine. I just recently had a new slave cylinder put in and the trans has only 7,000 miles on it.

91 YJ, 4" lift, 33" BFG MT, Herculined tub, Stockie 4 banger, and no money
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

well, it happened one morning, and it was very cold out. but it dosen't make anysence to me, because the clutch has about 5000 miles on it, and i dodn't drive it hard the few days before either...and the noise is always there, no matter if the Transfercase is in 2,4,4L,or N. and it dosen't matter if my tranny is engaged either

89' jeep wrangler yj, saraha, 4" skyjacker, HEI conversion.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 03:32 AM

Sounds like the clutch throwout bearing to me. Its the bearing the rides on the bearing retainer over the input shaft to the tranny. When you push on the clutch, the clutch fork moves the bearing into the fingers on the pressure plate to release pressure on the disk. When this bearing starts to wear out, or if the release spring falls off, it can sould like a small chirp coming from below. If it gradually gets worse, then the bearing is wearing out. Eventually it will squeel really loud (like a loose belt), and you risk having the bearing freeze the the retainer. Its all replaceable, but kind of a pain to get at since you have to drop the tranny/xfer case.
When it goes away with slight pressure on the clutch pedal, its most likely because you are putting a load on the throwout bearing.

Thats what it sounds like to me anyways.
TJ

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 11:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with teejay. Most likely the throwout bearing. Sometimes they last a long time, and sometimes they go out quickly, and boy do they squeal. only a $30-$40 part, but it takes a little work to replace it. Have to drop the Tcase and transmission to get to the thing.

cjcrawler
"The Beast"

http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~simmonst/Jeep.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode