Broken blind nuts in boxed frame. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 02:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Broken blind nuts in boxed frame.

Hi folks, I need some advice. I am going to put a new clutch and tranny mount in my 85' CJ. This requires removal of the factory skid plate. The last time I did this was on a 77' and a blind nut in the frame broke loose. At the time I took a die grinder with a 1"diameter by 1/2"tall grinding stone and cut a slot in the inner frame 'box'. I was then able to tape a nut to my open end wrench and hold the nut in place for tightening. Thinking back, (I since sold the Jeep), it is not good practice to cut into an old frame eventhough the hole was so small.
I am sure this has happened to someone else. What did you guys do to replace the busted nut?

85'CJ, stock for now! It's a Jeep thing ...my wife doesn't understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 04:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Broken blind nuts in boxed frame.

Leave it there. Weld a 2-foot length of angle-iron on the frame, drill holes, and bolt to it.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 04:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

weld nut to a piece of flat stock. weasle it into the frame through an exsisting hole.... once in place, the flat stock will keep it from turning.

Drew
78 CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 05:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've cut a hole in my frame to get a nut welded back in there, and then welded the hole back up with no ill effects. Just be careful and don't make the hole bigger than you have to.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 12:33 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I'd still like to beat the hell out of the bright guy that came up with putting nuts inside the frame. The first time this happened I drilled a holes through the frame (top and bottom) and ran long grade 8 bolts through it. You may have to trim the bolts as there is very little room between the frame and body if your not running a body lift. There is just enough room to lay a nut on top of the frame and get the bolt started from the bottom. When I did a tranny and t-case upgrade I had to move the skid plate back a little. This time I welded some angle iron on the side of the frame. I welded a couple of short strips on the skidplate and bolted them together.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 03:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What I had to do (luckily my dad has seen this done) for the front spring hanger bolts is we got a grade 8 bolt that fit through the hole, then taped a string onto it pretty good (around the threads), snaked the string through the hole, then pull the string gently and with a little playing the bolt should come through too. Then you have a bolt hanging down that you can easily attach a nut to. Of course you have to have a way to keep the bolt from spinning, mine was close enough I could get a wrench on good enough. I hope that makes sense, basicly the bolt is on the inside and the nut is on the outside now. Of course you may need to cut excess bolt off. I think we also used a coat hanger as a snake to pull the string.

David Sanders
http://www.geocities.com/david_sanders_79/jeep.htm
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 08:26 AM
sas87yj

i haven't done it but i was talking to H8 about a similar problem i was having with a potential welded nut in the frame coming loose. he suggested drilling out the hole enough to fit another nut in the hole and weld it in place which would be basically flush with the frame. he said to hold the nut in place while welding with a greased bolt threaded into the nut. i guess that leaves only one hand for tack welding the nut- then take the bolt out and use both hands to finish the job.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 08:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

that is what i did. i rounded the edges of a nut with a bench grinder and then drilled the existing hole in the frame until the nut would fit. i threaded a bolt into the nut to protect the threads and used a jackstand to holt the bolt/nut into place. then i welded the nut into the frame and remove the bolt and you are done.

high5
it's one ton o' fun!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 10:19 AM

Our (excellent) local fastener store has collapsable nut inserts.
You simply drill the hole the OD of the insert, plug it in, and run a bolt with a washer down into it to collapse and expand the portion of the sleeve just below the thread section of the new sleeve.
This sleeve has a lip on it similar to those for the CJ sway bar sleeve nuts to hold the sleeve in place on the outside and the newly collapsed bludge on the sleeve immediately inside the frame supports the skid plate and also prevents the new sleeve from rotating when tightening.
Very slick! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 01:39 PM

I welded a piece of coathanger to a nut and passed it into the frame through a hole farther along. Manipulating the coathanger I got the bolt to start in the nut. Then friction between the nut and the frame allowed me to tighten the bolt. The piece of coathanger is still sticking out the hole. I put a lot of antiseize on the nut and bolt, so it may come apart again. If not the grinder will get it.

I am about to take the body off, and when I do I will weld tubes through the frame. That's better than squeezing the the frame - over time the frame tube can relax a little and leave the bolt loose.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode