CJ lifting unknowns - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 11:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ lifting unknowns

I am about to embark on a 4inch lift journey into the unknown on my 83 CJ7. Lift is a Pro comp system with shocks, shims, pitman arm and of course springs with ubolts. I also picked up brake line extensions. My question to you is what else am I going to encounter that I need to know before I get started? I want everything I need before loosening a single bolt. With all the experts out there surely every aspect of lifting a jeep has been uncovered. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 11:38 AM
cocco_78

Re: CJ lifting unknowns

Spray every bolt on the Jeep a few days before you start with the kit with some good penetrating oil, and keep spraying them. Old Jeep don't like letting go of their stock parts very well. If you are going to lower the tcase expect a few of the bolt to break, or the nut welding inside the frame to come loose. This is a MAJOR PAIN IN THE ARSE. The rest of the kit is pretty much fool proof.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 11:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The only other thing missing from your list is spring bushings. Beware of the Pro Comp (aka Pro Crap) kits though. Take this with a grain of salt, but they have a bad reputation of a very rough ride.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
'63 CJ6 rolling chassis and body only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 12:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Would you be suggesting I use a different system all together? I only went with the Pro Comp because of the completeness and cost of the system over the others that I looked at. Of course, I also don't want to wear a kidney belt while operating my jeep either. What would you suggest for 4inch lift with a decent ride?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 01:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the procomp 2.5" lift and i gotta admit that it pretty much sucked. I got a lot of ride height out of it but the springs were hard as rocks. If you're using the Procomp kit, get SOFT shocks! I used rancho 5000s which are kinda of hard. Also, watch for "fanning" of the springs. My rear springs fanned out and I had to clamp them back together...very annoying.

Jay
95 Wrangler Rio Grande...She's gettin there - I'm all about the 4 cyls
http://www.geocities.com/heavycream
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 02:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The one thing you will probably find most difficult it getting that old pitman off. Be careful, sometimes a bfh is not the way to go. Also, it has been said that the Pro-Comp springs are stiff, and yes they are, but what you need to if you still plan on going with them is to wheel the snot out of them for about 6 months, then they start working real well, and won't sag like some others. But, the ride will still be stiff, the articulation will be good though.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 02:20 PM

The rubicon express Extreme Duty kit's are as complete as they come and include springs, 2.5" wide fornt springs (same as a yj, better ride and flex) and all the parts to do the swap, greasable shackles and bushings, pitman arm, brake lines, drop pitman arm, shocks, sway bar dsicos (though thiers kinda suck), u-bolts, t-case drop and maybe some other stuff i can't remember. Super lift kits are also well liked for the most part. You will need brake fluid, and flare nut wrenches to do your brake lines, a pitman arm puller, lots of penetrating oil, maybe something to cut old bolts out with, basic hand tools, jack stand, and a helper helps.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 03:33 PM

I stand behind CJJC,
I, too, havea procomp lift, and while it may be a stiff kit, it flexes better and better everytime I use it, and because it is so stiff, it doesnt tend to sag like other softer kits that offer immediate articulation out of the box.
Just give it time.

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Work Commuter.
89 FSJ - 6-inch Rustys on the way!
87 YJ - 5' of lift, Xterrains 33's. ARB Snorkel.
48 CJ2A - Lawn Sculpture.
Square-Eyed Jeeps Unite!!!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 08:54 PM

Dont listen to these guys trying to make themselves feel better about buying a pro comp(no offense to anyone, just trying to make a point). If you can return the lift, by all means, do it! If not be prepared for a very rough ride for a while, but it probably wont sage like some others.
If you can return it try to get a rubicon express, super lift, rancho or skyjacker(shyjackers tend to sag after awhile). I am a big rancho fan, I think their systems are well built and well thought out(Try desert rat, they have good prices and give you they shocks with the kit).

You shouldn't have any promblems installing that kit, you can do it in an afternoon. get an impact wrench for the U bolts with and deep well sockets.
one mistake I have made in the past is not to trim my Ubolts after an install, then going out and bending them all over on a rock. trim them or get u bolt skid plates.
good luck

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 10:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Does Rubicon Express make a system for CJ's? Does Rancho even make a 4" lift for CJ's? Is a transfer case lowering kit required with a 4" lift? Sorry for my ignorance, inquiring minds want to know hehe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode