Update on my CJ8 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 03:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Update on my CJ8

For those of you that are interested.

I just traded my full hard top for a half hard top today(Thurs.). I am going to clean it up and put the first coat of Herculiner on the interior tomorrow. Also tomorrow I will install the bulkhead.

Yesterday I ordered my front rollcage. I was going to make one out of a Smittybuilt CJ7 kit that I had left over from my old YJ. I went with Rock Hard 4x4(http://www.rockhard4x4parts.com), cuz they were the only ones that made one that fits inside a half camp and you can still use the window cranks. I wasn't comfortable making the connection on the front of the cowl. I am aware that many of you don't like the cowl linked roll cages, but this one has a leg that is behind the dash that extends to the floor. I think it is superior to the other cowl roll cages. I also got the frame tie ins also. I used money from some stuff I sold here, and from my top trade/sale to make this happen.

After the bulkhead is put on, and the top is deemed in good shape. I have to get the top back on, cuz I got to go kill me some of them there deers in them woods. Then I will start painting the cage(it should be here next week) next. And hopefully get it installed within the next 2 weeks.

This weekend I am going to pick up the set of Scout D44's, and start prepping them, as soon as the cage is ready. Or I will make a winch plate and mount the Warn XD9000i in my garage. Decisions, decisions.

I have plenty to keep me busy now that my work on my new house is slowing down. But with deer season in full swing down here I have even more to do. And I have to keep the Jeep driveable to boot. We are taking back over my family ranch(been renting it out, biiig mistake) in March also, so that will take alot of time as well to get things back in order.

Anyone have any spare time I could borrow?

Jason

----------------
OIIIIIIIO'81 Scrambler & '88 Grand Waggie
I'm stuck in the '80's!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 04:10 AM

Re: Update on my CJ8

Please inform us on how the Hard-Top is to hurculine on the interior.

I'm driving round with a white (ugh, Jeep is green) H/T interior and I wanted to hurculine the int. black. Then I was told by several people it was a bad decision as it would make the interior a really stressfull place (all black and dark)
The quilt shaped and glued to the roof got wasted aswell when I realised it would become a giant mold farm.

I'd really like to know how you like the interior psycologically and physical durability after a couple of weeks of driving it...

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 06:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jason,

I would love to hear how your roll cage turns out. I have been wanting to put a roll cage in mine, but couldn't find one that would work with the half hard top.

Kipp

Kipp Karavanich
1981 & 1982 Jeep Scramblers
Southern Oregon Coast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 11:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You could probably paint over the herculiner if you want. I am doing it for sound insulation. If I were you I might try some herculiner and get some felt and cut it down the same as you did the quilt. Should be a very well insulated top then.

I'll keep you informed on the roll cage inside the half hard top. I am hoping it will be just what I have been looking for. I'll try to get some pics of when I install it and how it fits aginst the top. Just follow the link I gave in my previous post to look at it further. To me this it the best designed top that takes into account egronomics. It might not be the absolute strongest, but it is better than nothing. Plus, I don't have to have the strongest, that is why I am going with D44's and not D60's.

Jason

----------------
I'm stuck in the '80's!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 12:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jason I'm probably way off base on this, but isn't the main hoop of the factory roll bar behind the half cab (outside) when it's installed? If so, I'm just curious how you put the half cab on when part of it is outside and part is inside (stringers going to front hoop).

'75 CJ5 with goodies
'63 CJ6 rolling chassis and body only
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 01:24 PM
Can't Get Enough

Just an fyi to those of you that are interested, theres a company called Eastwood http:// www.eastwoodcompany.com that sells just about evrything you could imagine for restoring vehicles. They have a bed coating that is suppose to be like a herculiner or rhino lining that you can buy, and you add whatever tint you want to it to obtain the color you want for your application. You apply the liner with an undercoating spray gun. I am going to buy some and use it on my Scrambler when I have the money and get to that point, but I figured I would let y'all know in case you were interested. I just don't want mine to be black and there aren't a whole lot of other color options from herculiner... If I can find the catalog around here, i'll post the part number on this thread so you can reference it on the web page..

http://bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 01:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Snowtow, you are exactly right. And this complication is why I went with the Rock Hard 4x4 front cage. They get around having to cut holes in the half hard top by adding another hoop inside the half cab. Then the added on hoop is secured to the original main roll bar via the same way that the shoulder seat belts are secured. It is really slick. You can probably tell better by just looking at some pics, so here you go.

Here is how the cowl mount comes into play. Notice the tube that runs next to the kick panel, that is what connects the cowl connection to the floor.

Pretty slick setup, if I say so myself.

Jason

----------------
I'm stuck in the '80's!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 02:27 PM

Sounds good, how about some pics of the beast.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 03:00 PM

thats a sweet looking cage, i'd like one of those myself [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post some pics of yours when you can......

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
"Sept 11th 2001" will not be forgotten
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 03:19 PM
Little_W

That's a nice cage !!! Keep those pictures coming. I'd like to see the rest of the vehicle and set up.
Peace
w

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode