Manual or auto tranny what is better for 4X - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 12:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Manual or auto tranny what is better for 4X

I like the convenience of a auto but wonder if im missing some benifit to the manual.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 12:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Manual or auto tranny what is better for 4X

personal opinion is all i can say.

high5
it's one ton o' fun!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 01:11 AM
Enthusiast

Well, you may have just opened up a can of worms with that one! At least you didn't ask any of these:

electric or hydraulic
Warn or Ramsey
leaf or coil
round or square
Curly, Larry or Moe

Any of those could get some tempers flaring! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

"It's a Jeep thing... and I DO understand"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 01:34 AM
Mud in my Veins

Manual Pros: - being able to rollstart if your starter dies
- compression braking going downhill

Auto Pros: - NO SHIFTING
- no 2 foot-3 peddle dancing

Caver Dave
'72 Commando
Oo=====oO
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 01:39 AM

Though it's nice to be able to just "walk on it" in a mudhole with a auto, I like a stick. Biggest reason: it's fun! You were probably expecting some great discourse on why the stick or auto was better, but I like the stick because it is fun to shift! I'm sure some will disagree with me, but hey, it's free country. Me, I like the sound and immediate response I get when I drop a gear and romp on the throttle. Hey, we all have fun our own ways!

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 01:53 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I'm with cj5_pilot, I like shifting too.
Plus, those long, steep, loose downhill grades would scare the hell out of me with a auto.
It's just whatever blows your skirt up. Both have pro's and con's.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 01:55 AM
BMF

The only situation where I found that one was"better" than the other while offroading is in soft sand. Autos rule in soft sand. Other than that it's preference, I also prefer to shift my own gears but when I head out to the Sand Dunes I sure wish I had an auto.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 05:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have run a manual in my jeep for 11years. first a t176 then a np435. i realy like alot of the pros of them however i just swapped. the reason was with the manual it sometimes sweemed like i needed a gear i didn't have. with the np435 first gear was great for crawling. second was great for just alittle more wheel speed and 3rd and 4th were good for nothing. too high. sometimes on hill climbs 2nd would still be too low but 3rd would be too high. with an auto the torque converter will allow more speed variation in the gears. plain and simple that is why i decided to switch. the main reason i don't like the auto is no clutch to save me from doing a back flip. i guess i'll just have to get used to it and learn how to get it in neutral quick.

high5
it's one ton o' fun!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 08:48 AM
Frank360

I like the manual for a couple of reasons, but the first one is because it reduced my driveshaft angle that cause vibration and weakness of the u-joints. Those auto are quite bulky and long, ok for a truck, but the shortwheelbase Jeep..... In a straigth line mud bog, I find autos nice, but everywhere else I prefer manual.. and I find you feel closer to your jeep when your playing with 3 pedals, it's like your part of the jeep [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 09:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Last summer when we rebuilt our 3/4T GM 4X4 I split the NP205 transfer case so I have a big stick; just a bit smaller than the SM465 lever; that controls the Direct-Under shift rail, and then the original FWD lever does the front axle in-out shift rail. That gave me eight useable gears in 2WD, and I have to say that is is a joy to use. For an old trucker like me having that second lever is really sweet. If I have to go onto some rough road, I snick it into Under and that puts my 3rd and 4th in the main box in a perfect spot to use as we bump along. If I need to do some maneuvering in reverse, I snick it into Under for that. When I take off with any kind of load, or if I just happen to be in Under, I go through a the SM465 to fourth gear, then drop my revs in half, then go to Direct in the NP205, then back the SM465 to 3rd, and then finally 4th. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It's really cool, and every now and then I get some raves when someone looks in my cab and sees that forest of levers coming up out of the hump.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] My ZJ is an auto, and it is SUPERIOR in snow. Our SNOJEEP is the '79 CJ7 TH400.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode