31's no lift? I am confused - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

31\'s no lift? I am confused

Right now i am running 31 BFG All Terrain AT's. Good tire. I have been looking around, and people wiht 2 inch larger tires are running a 4 linch lift. I do belive i need a lift, but what size? 2 inch.

I am not planing to do any serious wheeling with my YJ. That is for the TJ in the future. But i will do some. Can you give me your input on this 1.5-2 inch lift form JC W? IT is cheap and i am guessing not ment for the Colorado trails. I would get shocks. Would this serve my purpose?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jht...=65270&BQ=jcw2

The family has many "lifters" in it. I know about the brake lines etc...

Or would i be better off taking my srpings to the spring shop and telling them to raise them 2 inches.

Headed for Gunnison, soon....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 01:05 AM

Re: 31\'s no lift? I am confused

Hey, you are the only other person that I know with a 87 wrangler !!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I dont know if I am stupid or not, but if that kit is an add a leaf and it said it is for wranglers, and wrangler springs are mounted on the under side of the axle, then, I think all the add a leaf would do would beef up your current suspension without lifting it. For just good looks, I would go with a cheap 2.5 or 3 inch lift from either Rubicon Express, or Rancho. I have heard the rancho offers a smooth ride, and with a three inch lift, you could fit 32's, maybe 33's with some rubbing during flex.

I am hearing good things of BDS springs as well.
But, if you want 33's then definetly a 4 inch is needed to not worry about fender trimming, and rubbing to much.
=-Thanks!

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Work Commuter.
89 FSJ - 6-inch Rustys on the way!
87 YJ - 5' of lift, Xterrains 33's. ARB Snorkel.
48 CJ2A - Lawn Sculpture.
Square-Eyed Jeeps Unite!!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 03:44 AM

You could always pull out the carpet and put on 32's.

31's on the road with no lift are fine. You get your (example) 4" of travel.
33's with a 4" lift and you get (example) 8" of travel.
38's with a 4" lift and you get (example) 2" of travel.

It really depends what your using it for.
Snow-Boating? Skimp out on the lift and just get bigger tires, you won't sit as high, and you'll have to curcumnavigate speed-bumps like the lowered civics do for fear of cheawing up your fenders.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 12:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You really don't need much more room in the fenders so consider a couple of cheap "cheat" lifts instead.
1" longer shackles with give you a half inch of lift without affecting anthing else, just don't go too long with them.
Pick up a set of used TJ flares and mount them. The flares are bigger and allow you to trim about an inch from the wheel wells allowing 31's to fit no problem.
1"or 2" body lift. It's cheap and just enough to stop the rubbing.
A combination of these would even allow you to run 33's without getting the Jeep too tippy or having to spend the money on a SYE kit for the rear shaft.

'88 Sahara, 4.2 that runs thanx to every Cheap trick on this board. The rest is getting there![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 03:31 PM

You will probably need shocks with that kit, look into the complete kit or the rancho aal kit, it's $300 w/ aal's, rs9000's and a steering stablizer. Also you will probably need brake lines. I'd say 1" body, 1/2" lift shackle and tj flares should give you plenty of room for 31's, maybe 32's or 33's like stooby said. The jc whitney/ rough country 3" kit is pretty complete and a nice kit but if you tires arn't rubbing i would hold off on the lift and not get one just because it's the thing to do.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

My 31's are rubbing marks in my flares. I am thining about new shakles becasue mine already have roll out and it is time for new ones, or new bushings. Maybe go with a greseable 1/2 lift shakle?? How does that sound?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 08:51 AM
sas87yj

hey don't forget about me- i'm in the 87 club too! if you're gonna go a lift i would not settle for a 2-3", go for the 4-4.5". my 32's don't rub at all in maxed flex. you're 31's MUST be rubbing with no lift at all. i have the RE 4.5" susp and a 1" body.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-642001-jeep5.JPG (65.1 KB, 0 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 01:49 PM

Someone used to have a sig that said "My tires don't hit, they rub. Rubbing's off-road!"

Yeah, I pretty much agree with him, whats the harm in rubbing?. My fenders are bent up a little and the tires have some unintentional siping, but it still works fine and flexes more than any other stock YJ I've seen. The shocks still limit droop though, and I had to replace the stock brake lines with longer ones so I wouldn't rip one off.

Who here doesn't run the largest tire they can fit? One that will rub just a bit under full flex (or maybe more than just a bit?)

'89 Comanche, '89 Wrangler, '74 Postal
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 02:02 PM
Old Hand

I'm running 28" tires and they all but rub on my stock YJ, I can barely get my fingers in between the tire and the fender(not the flare) at full stuff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I'm gonna need a lift to get bigger tires on mine, hopefuly this summer [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Donnie
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

MY wrangler is a 90 not 87. The name thing goes back a ways.

I really liked the looks of your YJ with the 5.5 inch lift. It did not look like a pizza cutter. I will look into a 3 inch or so. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode