1" or 2" body lift with my 4" sus lift? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 10:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1\" or 2\" body lift with my 4\" sus lift?

I have a 94 YJ with a 4" pro comp spring lift. I'm running 33s and need a little more clearence. I dont want to put very long shackles on so I think i'm going to put 1/2" lift shackles with greaseable bushings. I've also thought about putting one or two inches of body lift. I dont want too much body lift though. It seems like body lifts would cause too many problems, and besides that they are just plain ugly on jeeps. is anyone running a one or two inch body lift with a 4 inch spring lift. If anyone has any input, please let me know. ALso i have a 2.5L with an auto tranny and a/c. I dont know if body lifts will mess any of that up. Thanks.

Blake

94 YJ. 33" General MTs 4" Pro Comp lift. Detroit in rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 11:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 1\" or 2\" body lift with my 4\" sus lift?

On a YJ so as not to rub at full compression with the front wheels turned hard, you will need a 2" body lift, otherwise you are going to catch the lip of the front fender.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 11:57 PM

Indiana Blake,
I too have the procomp 4 inch with 1 inch shackles right now. I am running 33's, but am getting ready to throw my 33 inch tires on my waggie, and put on some 35'inch BFG's.
I have researched this, and there should be a problem. I am running a 6 with the auto, and there we're any problems that I could see. If you are going to go with 35's you will definately need extended fender flares. Thats the only thing I have noticed.

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Work Commuter.
89 FSJ - 6-inch Rustys on the way!
87 YJ - 5' of lift, Xterrains 33's. ARB Snorkel.
48 CJ2A - Lawn Sculpture.
Square-Eyed Jeeps Unite!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 12:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

do you have a pic of your 1" lift shackles? I'm concerned about having them too long. Also i see you have a snorkel, i thought about putting one on. Do you have any information on the install or any information on it in general... rants or raves? thanks.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 12:13 AM

OK, this picture clearly shows the Shackles and the snorkel.

Are you worried about driveshaft length/angle? im not exatcly sure what you mean by too long? They really arent that bad. The snorkel is pretty easy to install. MY snorkel was made for wranglers with a 4.0; I have a 4.2, so the air intake hoses/system is diffrent. I took the round intake hose from the snorkel, and stuck it int he square intake hose from my filter housings, if you can wait a couple minutes, Ill go get some pictures.

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Work Commuter.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 12:31 AM

This is where the snokel sticks through the hole you will drill into the fender, for the air hose to connect.

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Work Commuter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-640570-Snorkel_fender_well.jpg (47.7 KB, 0 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 12:34 AM

Another picture of the whole Round-Hose-to-Square-Hose conversion, pretty simple, just shoved one into the other; I dont know if you saw Apollo 13 the movie, where they are trying to combine to two filter assemblys, but this was similar and equally as confusing for my weak mind [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Work Commuter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-640575-Round_SquareHose.jpg (41.2 KB, 0 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 12:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was worried about the shackles being too long. Yours dont seem very long for a 1" lift. I may buy the 1.25" lift ones instead of the .5" lift ones. Anyway, thanks for the info.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 01:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You can get bad steering geometry problems with long shackels. A 1" body lift will not change much (assuming that with the 4" lift you already lengthened the brake lines).
At 2" you might need to make a few other adjustments - move the fan shroud and pop the plastic pin out of the steering column. There have been lots of conversations here about what else you might need to do.

<font color=blue>[__] | | | | | | [__]</font color=blue>
The powers not delegated to the United States ... are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 02:23 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

JKS makes a nice 1.25" body lift. That's what I've got. If you've got a YJ, consider the TJ flares, that gives you a lot of room in the back. Also, I would not go over a 1" longer shackle (.5" lift). This point has been debated before.

Here is a shot of my YJ - 258 auto, 3.5-ish lift springs (got 'em at a swap meet, so not real sure), 1.25" JKS body lift, and 1" longer shackles, with TJ flares. I do not rub my 33s, even when flexed up.

On an auto tranny, you will need to adjust the linkage when you install the body lift, to keep the P R N D 2 1 in the right place on the column. There is an adjusting nut and a sliding clamp that you move. For my 1.25" body lift it was no problem. I think the 2" and 3" body lifts come with a linkage bracket - that's why some of the catalogs list auto-tranny body lifts different from manual-tranny body lifts.

Just my opinion.
Good luck
Pete

"Everything I've got to offer, girl, is beneath this dirty hood." -- Bruce Springsteen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode