Welding Cylinder Cost - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 10:06 PM
Ellis

Welding Cylinder Cost

My CO2 Mig cylinder has gone to the land of leaky gas cylinders and I have to purchase or rent a new one. Anyone out there in the South East that has recent experience on purchase or rental cost of a 40# or 100# Cylinder?

80 CJ5, 52M38 Always carry a BFH and a screwdriver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 12:00 AM

Re: Welding Cylinder Cost

Cylinders are rated in Cubic Feet.
An 80 CuFt cylinder is about the size of a scuba tank, and runs about $145 with valve.
Most of the time you have to buy this cylinder size, and then exchange it for a filled one, or have your cylinder filled.
Expect to pay in the range of $30 to $35 for a fill, but they last a LONG time...

For about the same price, you can get about a 5 year lease on a LARGE cylinder 120 CuFt or bigger.
( I use the big ones...)
They are top heavy, bulky, and a pain in the butt, but I don't have to buy new ones, or have mine inspected... I just trade it in for a full one...
Expect to pay about $10 more to have it filled.

Mostly Argon will give you better welds...
There are a variety of mixes now,
75% Argon, 25% CO2.
80% Argon, 20% CO2
95% Argon, 5% CO2
I'm playing with 95% Argon, 5% Oxygen right now, but I'm not real impressed with it...

Lots of guys use straight CO2, but in my limited experience, plain CO2 doesn't do as well as mostly Argon, and it's more expensive.

If you just do a little welding, or just utility welding, you might get off cheaper with a Fountain coke machine CO2 bottle.
My next door neighbor did that for his race track tank, and it seems to work for him...
Dirt cheap too! Got the tank at an out of business fast food restaurant, and has a friend at a restaurant that gets them

So many cats, so few recipes...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 03:35 AM

Hey Ellis,

If you're looking for straight CO2, I would check with PeachState Fire in Gainesville (770) 536-3948. Charles turned me onto them, they did a 20# cylinder for me. They also have some REALLY nice vehicle mounting brackets for 10/20# cylinders for $25 (same as design PowerTank, but cheaper).

If you are looking for a new(er) cylinder, you might give Kent (red CJ who rolled on way back from Gardendale) a call, he was saying he had some 20's around.

Regards,
Herb

P.S. long time no see. How's the CJ coming?

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2002, 06:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

in virgina, i just got an 80#(i think) bottle of argon(1006) for "life" 165$ or they charge 50$ rent per year. if i remember what the place said was that the bottle charge was just about the same, you just have to pay for the gas that you fill up with. i need a cutting/heating out fit somekind of bad looking into cutting cost with a oxy/propane set-up i've heard it will use more oxy and not be as hot per say as acty.(not a good thing). but is safer,travels better, and filling would be easier. at work i use mapp. gas. to buy the oxy. bottle it would cost the same 165$

taco
78cj7
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 08:47 PM

Ellis, I got my 80 cubic foot tank early last year for $80 with a re-fill price of around $12. I just take the empty tank in and exchange it for a full tank. I`m in southeast Tenn. so maybe this will help.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode