kinda simple gas tank questions... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

kinda simple gas tank questions...

first and foremost i am an idiot: how does the gas tank strap go on?? The strap and the skid are both new and for the life of me i cant figure out how the end of the strap with a small loop attaches. Go figure.

Second, i just got my new tank for free from a guy in the local jeep club. It is in really good shape except the filler vent tube is missing. I didn't notice it until i got home. It looks like a clean cut or break right at the base of the tank. Help, where do i get the tube and how do i weld it on? Thanks a million for putting up with these stupid questions- Tim

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 08:58 PM
Old Hand

Re: kinda simple gas tank questions...

for the strap.. there are two different ends of it, the end that is threaded (like a bolt.. 5/16" i believe) goes in the back side of the skid plate. you have to attach the front end of it first though.. once you look at it you will see.

it has been discussed here before, and i think most people agree that welding on a gas tank isn't safe.

Mark
83 CJ-7 and 76 CJ-7 with stuff
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 09:07 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I just replaced my tank and made a new stainless strap for my CJ7. I broke the bolt off when I removed it so I just made a new one. One end of the strap has a 3/8" rod about 2" long that is fixed to the strap sidways. It goes into a square hole in the skidplate. The other end has a stud welded on and it goes into a hole on the other side with a nut and washer. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 09:31 PM

just post a thread called "gas tank welding" and 4 months later after all teh arguing and name calling, youll end up taking it to a pro to weld, or buying another tank.

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 09:36 PM

If you're gonna weld the tank and are worried about explosions, why not just fill it with water? Just make sure it's dry before you put gas in.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

the tank has been dry for 5 years... There is nothing in it, i am not worried about explosions. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I am just going to go to the store and find the right sized tube and gas weld the sucker on there.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 12:20 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

It can be dry for years and STILL blow up in your face.
Fill it with water if your gonna weld it.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 12:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

"Nothing in there" meaning nothing LIQUID in there? Please don't weld it without filling it to the top with water. The residue left in the tank will quickly turn to a gas as you heat it up and the results wont be pretty!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

I still dont understand how there can be no liquid in the tank and then magically fuel vapors...

I will err on the side of caution though. I think i am just going to JB weld the neck on there. That stuf is plenty tuff to last ten years.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 12:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The leftover gasoline, over time, turns into a sticky, syrupy residue. It will form a layer of this residue on the interior walls of the gas tank, and stay there for many many years. As this residue is heated up, it kinda' melts as it gets hot from the welding and although you could never run an engine on the stuff, it is still very flamable and unstable. The other thing you could do is look into a plastic vent "bung" that would fit in from the inside and has a nut on the outside to hold it to the tank. I remember seeing these at RV supply places, but don't know if the material they are made of would resist gas.

Sorry to scare ya' about the "old gas" thing, but after a friend torched the gas tank straps off of a '53 Desoto that had an "empty" tank and had been in a back yard for 25 years, the tank exploded! He had some schrapnel in his arm and chest and it took a while for his eyebrows to grow back, but came out of it better for the experience.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode