examples of homemade Jeep trailers... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 05:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

examples of homemade Jeep trailers...

Has anyone made their own trailer? If so what are some of the details, what axles brakes, etc...and how much did it all cost? I can to all the welding and cutting and everything myself. What is a good place to get the material (steel)?? And does anyone have any pics?
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 09:41 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: examples of homemade Jeep trailers...

I going to do the same thing soon. There are some books around with trailer plans but I forgot where I saw them. Try doing a search. I hope you get some pics on this thread.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 10:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: examples of homemade Jeep trailers...

Trailers are a peculiar animal, everyone wants one (for next to nothin') they always seem to be be grossly over loaded(with out brakes) and religiously have sh!tty tires on them.

So having said that, are you building a custom/specific purpose trailer? Or would a standard 4x8/ or 5x10 work? Most of the time people buy a used one or build one only to find out that they could have bought a new one cheaper! Trailer manufacturers today buy steel,axles,and misc. parts by the trailer load, so it is hard to buy everything you need individually and build it cheaper.

Take into consideration: angle iron, axle/with/without brakes, tounge material, tounge jack, safety chain, lighting, wiring harness, wheels and tires, springs/shackles, fenders, flooring, tailgate/ramps, state inspection and title, all these things go into building your trailer not counting : your "uninterupted time", space and cash out lay for the material.

Please don't get me wrong here but you have to consider all of these facts when building your first trailer. Some people are better off buying their first one and adding some personal touches to it after you use and determine what it needs(kinda like your Jeep!) then go from there.

I'll try to get some pictures of a few different trailers we have if you do decide to build your own.

Hope this helps

Edder

Do you smell that?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode