YJ buildup - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 04:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

YJ buildup

Now that the scrambler has been sold I have a black 89 YJ, 2.5L, all stock, no power steering. The first mod I am doing is putting on a bullbar and winch which i aquired very cheap. Then I am looking into finding axles, I have no access to a welder so I need to buy axles that someone else has set up. I also need to install some sort of steering assist, I remember h8 going over his hydraulic ram system, but what is my eastiest option. If I just want to install factory power steering on it, how much do you think I am looking at? I am aiming to run 35s or 36s, probably MTRs. Anyone have suggestions or ideas. I am also going to most likely rattle can the whole jeep.

'85 Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 04:43 PM

Re: YJ buildup

Yeah, I have a couple suggestions.

1: Dont put 36 inch tires in a 4-cyl Jeep.
2: Dont put 36 inch tires till you get power steering.
3: Dont worry about axles until you "need" them, steering first.
4: I think you can get a OEM Power steering box and pump from quadratec for about $350,
But if you could find the Heep in a wrecking yard, that would be a less expensive route, obviusly.

just my advice!

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Work Commuter.
89 FSJ - 6-inch Rustys on the way!
87 YJ - 5' of lift, Xterrains 33's. ARB Snorkel.
48 CJ2A - Lawn Sculpture.
Square-Eyed Jeeps Unite!!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 05:11 PM

I'm planning a power steering addition to My 89 YJ.

the part of the conversion that I don't have info on, is the connection from the power steering box and the steering shaft.

1989 jeep YJ,4.2L,5spd
room a zoom zoom!!!!!!!!
http://hometown.aol.com/gouldvolts/jeep/jeep.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 07:33 PM

There's a guy on the gljt board selling some tj d44's w/ 4.88's and detroits i think. If you are looking for a cheep axle build up i'd say get some front axle shafts from a '95 or later xj (they have 297x u-joints same as a d44 and do away with the vaccum disco), then pull an 8.8 rear from an exploder, take it to a welding shop and have some spring pads welded on and you have an alright drive train to run 35's. If you are planning on running a front locker look into the warn hub conversion. Or here's another idea find a set of grand waggy axles and then just have a welder weld on the spring pads and shock mounts. Here's a site showing the swap and it isn't that hard. http://www.chadlloyd.rockcrawler.com/Tech/tech.html Also check out http://www.car-part.com to find the axles. I'm guessing the spring pad welding shouldn't be more than $100 if you prep the housing and tell them exactly where you want the welds. Where you are looking at the major cash is the gear set up and if you plan to keep the 4 banger you need 4.88's or lower. I'm guessing it would be cheeper to buy the tools necessary to set up gears and do them your self. If you are set on buying an axle look in 4wd hardware they sell currie housings that all they need is a locker (or carrier and diff) and fronts that just need your d30 knuckles or a warn hub conversion and a locker. I'd say do it your self, then you will know how to do it and will know how to fix your jeep. I'm planning on getting a welder, i'm just not sure when or i'd weld up your axles.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 07:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

you could wait till next november.. i will be selling my axles then.. they will bolt right into a yj... but they are 5 on 5.5..
i would work on ps first.. dont worry about a 4cyl with 36" tires.. to fix that you just need the correct gears..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>If you are allergic to lead, it is best to avoid a war zone</font color=orange>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 11:42 PM

Your right, a 4-cyl with correct gears will be ok, just dont take it on the freeway! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Work Commuter.
89 FSJ - 6-inch Rustys on the way!
87 YJ - 5' of lift, Xterrains 33's. ARB Snorkel.
48 CJ2A - Lawn Sculpture.
Square-Eyed Jeeps Unite!!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 02:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I dont expect to be able to cruise on the highway at 80 mph, I cannot even top it out because the gears arent low enough right now. The whole build up depends on the power steering, I will not do it if I cannot do power steering for a reasonable amount of money. I have a friend who has a vortec 350 for sale, and I am considering buying the bolt in chevy mounts for a Yj because I dont know anyone who can weld. That would solve quite a few problems, but I would clearly also need a new tranny and transfer case. All I would need is the box, pump, bracket, and hoses, how much would this stuff cost? This is what decides what goes on. Any suggestions are welcome.

'85 Scrambler
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 11:30 AM

Call around to the local yards, or some one might have put an arg setup in thier jeep and have the left over parts, post it on gljt about getting the parts, those guys have tons of cash and might have what you need lying around. I'm not sure when i'm getting a welder and also an idea you could take the welding course thing at clc tech campus during school and make jeep parts, that's what my friend is doing for his bronco. I'd get a welder and in the long run save the cash. Also we are heading down to 130th and torrance today (sunday) give me a call at 847-343-5136 if you want to come down, it's about an hour or so to get there.

BarrelROll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 11:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you keeping the 4 cyl, I hope that you didn't get the 5 spd. if so plan on replacing it soon... good luck finding anything that is adaptable to it that is any good. I went with a NV 4500, and I'm gonna replace the 231 with a 208. its a bolt on and its alot stronger.

JR

The road is calling, Ignore it!!
There is life after asphalt.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2002, 12:11 PM

The 89 YJ came with the AX5 tranny, its not a bad tranny at all.
The power steering is very simple.
any saginaw pump will work, you can buy a new one from a major auto parts store for probably under $100. I would suggest an 80 GMC one ton with a deisel as your donor, it will come with an extra low pressure line that is supposed to run to the hydro boost brakes, but that line can just be looped back into the low pressure line. The good thing is that they are rated for more volume. I bought one from Autozone with the reservoir for $89. You will need the brackets from any wrecked YJ with PS.
Any PS Saginaw box for the most part will work, you can get them out of Camaros or any dozens of models. Your steering shaft will hook right up, but you will need to get a power steering pitman arm. The car you get the box from may have one that is suitable, or you may need to buy an aftermarket.
In any case this is a very easy upgrade and shouldnt cost much more than a couple hundred bucks, if you shop around.

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode