AGR powersteering problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

AGR powersteering problems

My AGR steering box and pump are giving me problems. I'm using the superbox 2 and a ford mustang pump on my 5.0HO. First, the AGR pump won't hold fluid, the housing leaks. I got a NAPA rebuild and it holds fluid okay. I had a custom line build to match the pump to the box. Now it works, but two problems. First, fluid is now seeping out of the seal by the pitman arm. Second, if I turn the steering wheel with the engine off, power steering fluid blows out of the cap vent and all over the place! That doesn't seem normal. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 04:06 PM

Re: AGR powersteering problems

I would call AGR. That much money spent on a box. they had better be able to tell me what the hell is wrong with it when it doesn't work right. just my .02

76 CJ7, 258,Jeep T18, D20 TC, D30 & AMC20.
4" Superlift, 33" SSR's
Will trade extra kidney for Jeep parts!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 05:40 PM

If you want to ditch that ford PS pump in favor of a saginaw unit, find a 87 and up ford van with a 302 or 351. They used saginaw pumps. I recently got 2 brackets and pumps from the local upullit yard for $20. There are two styles of brackets depending on what kind of AC the van had. One of them provides an almost flat mounting surface that I think can be easily modified for a york compressor. The other will work for the style AC pump that came on most mustang engines.
Also, my PS box looked like it was leaking from the pitman seal. But when I took the front clip off during my engine swap I discovered that it was really leaking from the high pressure line. Make sure they are tight and the proper fittings.

'79 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 01:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have heard alot of people are having problems with the agr stuff.

high5
it's one ton o' fun!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 10:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Most of the problems are due to not getting them bleed good. That is why his is puking with the engine off I guarentee!! Bleed that sucker by turning the wheels back and forth till the fluid doesnt move up and down AT ALL!! Then it should be fine unless your introducing air from a loose fitting!! I've been playing this game for a while now and I'm happy to report that I'm tickled with it at the moment!!

It's as close to a 1ton as it can get and still be a jeep!!! Gotta love it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode