Herculining the tub anything to look out for? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Herculining the tub anything to look out for?

I'm going to buy the hurculine for my tub today I was just wondering if there is anything to look out for when using it? I preped the tub with a wire wheel on a 7" grinder and I'll be taping anything off I don't want done. any other ideas, technices, or tips out there you can give me?

Thanks a lot
Chad

84 & 76 CJ-7's Give me a striaght six cummins diesel anyday. [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 01:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Herculining the tub anything to look out for?

Remove any bolts that you think you might ever want to remove in the future...
Remove your heater coil and duct...its a lot easier to get in that area with it out.
Wear gloves....that stuff will only wear off if you get it on your hands.
Wipe down everything with Laquer thinner before you apply.

John...southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Rear, Detroit Front, Solid Axle's, Durabak, York Air

They say we learn by our mistakes......I guess thats why we are all so smart.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 01:41 PM
Enthusiast

The surface prep doesn't need to be that great, the stuff sticks to anything! Allow plenty of time for mulitple coats, a gallon will be plenty. I pulled the transmission cover plate around the shifters and herculined it seperatly, so it can be removed without wrecking the coating. Have fun.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 01:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

run a search for more info, but I'd suggest you wear a hat, a face mask, long sleeves and pants. Put paper or something under the Jeep also, just in case. That stuff DOES NOT come off. Work in a well ventilated area - the fumes will creep up on you. Run a search for after coatings, to help prevent fading, etc. I used some spray-on clear coat stuff from Home Depot.

You may have a little extra (even using just the one gallon), so have anything you want to Herc. prepped before starting - once you start, you can't really stop or it'll dry.

Be careful with bolts. I left many of the bolts in and just put tape over the tops. Now's a good time to replace some torx. You could just pull the various bolts and shove toilet paper in the holes, but it's not an exact science and you'll spend another three hours trying to get the bolts back in with a wire brush.

Type 6-"Woodlands" '82 CJ'7
Type 2-"Occasional 'froader" '96 ZJ
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 02:01 PM

After I did mine I heard that if you put vaseline on the heads of bolts then the herculiner won't stick to it. Haven't had a chance to verify it but thought I would mention it.

Josh Lavalleur
'70 CJ5 4.3L V6
D27 & D44 axles
T-14 3-speed, D18 XC, Warn OD
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 05:36 PM

yeah... DONT GET NON ON YOU!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Its been two days since i did mine and i still cant get off my hands a face (dont ask).

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 06:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

All surfaces must be scuffed at least. Sorry to contradict anyone but I did my tub and I have found spots where the liner came off and underneath is red paint. It only happened in a spot or two. Be sure to wear HAND PROTECTION! My hands were spotted black for almost two weeks! Anyways, just lookout for the obvious like what everyone else has said and coat the stuff on there farily well. I had some extra that I saved incase it chips or peels off.
Tim

'88 YJ, 4.2L w/Weber 32/36, Procomp 4" w/33 BFG M/T's, TFI upgrade, Stock auto tranny and everything else.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 07:05 PM
Mud in my Veins

Ditto what's been said about covering EVERYTHING you don't want coated, both on the Jeep & Yourself!
My buddy's girlfriend did his tub on a Sat afternoon. We tried to tell her how bad it was, but you know women (no offense Mel). She had on a pair of white shorts and a pink shirt. When it was all over, it was literally ALL OVER. His dad took her over to the "flammable" corner of the barn for a scrubdown with some very ugly solvent {you know, the stuff that ends with "lene"). After that, she looked like she was sunburned for a few days! Had to wear a few spots on her face until they wore off, 5-6 days later, and ended up cutting some out of her hair.

Caver Dave
'72 Commando
(Now "Moss-less" & looking for a name)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 09:31 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I put Durabak in mine and it's some tuff stuff! About the same as Herculine. Wear a good face mask, that crap stinks! Get one of those white paper suits and a good pair of rubber gloves and just toss them when your done. Do a good prep job, clean and scuff the paint. I used a brush on the first coat to get into all the nooks and crannys. Kind of patchy looking. The second coat looked much better using the roller. I let the jeep set for a week after I put the liner in and could still smell it a month later! Someone here really took a bashing for getting some on his "hootis". :P

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

so how many coats can I get out of the paint can? should I mix it altogether at once or save some (how much?) if done in coats how long should I wait between coats.

Thanks
Chad

84 & 76 CJ-7's Give me a striaght six cummins diesel anyday. [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode