NV4500 clicking noises??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 11:12 AM
Spike5421

NV4500 clicking noises???

My NV4500 tranny is making clicking noises at idle with the clutch out. It also sometimes makes these noises when driving and the clutch is out. It will also make these clicking noises when I lift the clutch pedal up. Does anyone have any clue about what may be the problem?? I took it to a tranny shop and they said that My mounts were bad...my advance adapters engine mount bushings that I am using for tranny mounts! Well anyway if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

'82,CJ7,D44'S,ARB'S,BDS SUSP.,FULL CAGE,4.0 HO,NV4500,DANA300 TWINSTICK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 01:47 PM
Spike5421

Re: NV4500 clicking noises???

Sorry, I am trying to keep this fresh because I am about to go on a 400 mile trip on saturday and I need some sort of answer to this. Thanks for any response.

'82,CJ7,D44'S,ARB'S,BDS SUSP.,FULL CAGE,4.0 HO,NV4500,DANA300 TWINSTICK
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 04:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Since no one has chimed in yet I will throw my experience out there. I had a 1 ton ford powerstroke, and it was making the same clicking. The dealership told me I needed a new flywheel($1200). My local wrench turner got under it pulled the dust cover off and the bolts were backing out. Hope this helps a little.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 05:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

dunno what it is, but mine has done it for 3000 miles now!!

JR

The road is calling, Ignore it!!
There is life after asphalt.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 05:45 PM

hmm... does it stop when you push in the clutch? when you say "clicking" does it sound a little like a diesel?

If so I believe that you have the same issue I've run into. When I originally went through the whole install, I had problems getting the pressure plate to clear the clutch fork. Called AA and they said that I had to use the Centerforce clutch since it sits lower than most. Put that in and instead of having the 1000 bearings in a blender sound all I have is the "clicking" you describe. It goes away as soon as I push in the clutch or if the clutch is engaged.

The nearest I can figure is that the throw-out bearing is resting on the fingers of the pressure plate as it turns, cause there isn't enough clearance inside the bell-housing. I've run mine this way for a while now. The next time I get ready to do a clutch, I'll call AA and see what they can do about it.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 05:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

my nv4500 is much quiter than my wifes nv3550. i cant hear it at all.
couple things come to mind while i was reading about my nv4500 in my jeeps history folder...
1. did you get the advanced adapters pilot bushing?
2. did you modify the dust shield to clear the new slave cylinder?

just trying to help...

~~Elusive~~
everything good in life is round, breasts, halos, and headlights
http://www.jeepgod.net
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 06:07 PM

Hey Elusive,

Yeah, I read Harry's site before I put mine in. At the time, he was one of the few good sources on the NV4500 swap, now everybody has a write-up on it. Got the bit about hydraulic'ing out the old bushing with grease from him.

1) Yes got the pilot bushing. Had to replace it twice during original install because the clutch issue caused us to booger it. AA was, however, nice enough to replace it for free and Fed-Ex them to me.

2) Not using a slave cylinder, it's a manual clutch linkage. Wanted to keep it simple.

Thanks for the ideas though.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode