which catalytic converter ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 07:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

which catalytic converter ?

There were some postings found in " search" regarding the cat.converters. I will probably get a replacement for the current stock cat conv. I want to keep the jeep as quiet as possible , while not spending a suggested $400 for OEM . Can anyone provide me with sources/ types /prices for a new cat conv ? What is a catback all about ? Why would someone install a cat back ? Is it performance ( HP ) related ? Is it as quiet as OEM ? I found an ad for a replacement cat conv for approx $ 35- $50 , but the size was very small ( 19 inches , I believe ) and I question its noise level ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 08:03 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: which catalytic converter ?

Generic fit catalytic converters can typically be had for the $40-$50 range. Sometimes you will need to use an adapter, as they are not "direct fit". Depends on the application, I think. Take your old one with you when you get the new one.

19 inches long seems about right -- they're not too big. Exhaust noise level will typically be a function of the muffler, not the cat.

Catbacks, as I understand it, are typically used to supposedly add horsepower. They will sometimes have a "throaty" sound. You can also get a "highflow cat", but I don't know how restrictive a standard cat is to start with.

Why do you want to replace the stock one? Are you looking for more power?

Good luck
Pete

"Everything I've got to offer, girl, is beneath this dirty hood." -- Bruce Springsteen.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 08:12 AM
Enthusiast

Cat back is an exhaust system that replaces everything behind the catalytic converter, as in: from the 'cat back'. Most performance exhaust systems will be a little bit louder the the factory system. You can get aftermarket catalytic converters much cheaper then from the dealer, just go to any auto parts place. There are even hi-flo cats, and even they are cheaper the OEM units. It is not the cats job to make the exhaust quiet, that's the mufflers job.

"It's a Jeep thing... and I DO understand"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 09:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The cat is rattling . I think that the honeycomb inside is deterioting after the 7 years that I have it . I hope to get an idea of replacement prices / ideas . My goal is to keep the Jeep quiet . A friend had a new hi-flo cat installed and the car is louder .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode