What Webber Carb to get.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

What Webber Carb to get....

I am looking through a new catolog i recieved. IT has weber Carbs for sale in it. They have The Weber32/36 DGES and the Webber 38 DGES. These Are for 258's but only go up to 1988. I have a 90. Are they the same, just w/o the electronics?

Headed for Gunnison, soon....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 07:44 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: What Webber Carb to get....

I think the one you would want is the progressive 32/36. Kit K551. The 32/36 is the size of the barrels - 32 is the main barrel, which it runs on most of the time, the 36 is the secondary, that opens up with more throttle, like 1/2 of a 4-barrel carb.

The 38 is a 2-barrel synchronous, which means the 2 barrels are on all the time, like a regular 2-barrel. This is not really a bad thing, but as I understand it this is more carb (38mm twin barrels, as opposed to the 32/36 of the progressive), and is typically for slightly built up engines. A stock engine will do well with the 32/36. That is what I have.

The 32/36 tunes easily, also, as it only has one mixture screw, seeing as it runs as a 1-barrel most of the time.

I have an 88, but I wouldn't think the 90 would be much different. I seem to remember a listing going up to 90, but it's been a while since I looked at carbs.

Just my opinion. You will also hear good things here of the Motorcraft (MC2100?) swap, some holley carb swap, etc.

Good luck
Pete

"Everything I've got to offer, girl, is beneath this dirty hood." -- Bruce Springsteen.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

If I were to do a junkyard swap, what kind of vehicle would the motorcraft come in? Looking in to Holley but i do not want a TBI swap.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 06:48 PM

If you are doing a MC2100, here's some info I have collected from others around the web:

You want the NRC2455 from Napa $144 cost $39 Core (other places have them a little cheaper but I like Napa). Make sure you get the one with the electric choke.

Application is a 1972 Ford E-100 Van with a 302.

When you pick it up, make sure that it has a "1.08" stamped into the base, this denotes the CFM rating (this one is 200CFM).
Most who have done this swap say that it works the best.

Carburetor Adapter – It is the 2 barrel Rochester to 2 barrel Holley adapter. Also known as the large 2 bbl to small 2 bbl manifold adapter. Summit sells TD Performance Products adapter no. TRD-2086 for $12.75 (there is a corresponding Mr. Gasket adapter available at most auto parts stores, pn 1937). It comes with 2 gaskets. I replaced the slotted bolts that came in the kit with allen head bolts to make tightening the adapter to the manifold easier. I also used a hardening gasket maker instead of the gasket between the adapter and the manifold (Permatex Form a Gasket 1A). I also used a Ford gasket between the carburetor and the adapter. It is made of black plastic and looks like two gaskets sandwiched together with plastic bushings inside the stud holes. Is this gasket necessary? There is nothing special about it other than that it will seal very well and also provide a lot of heat insulation from the manifold. The hole in the adapter is slightly larger than the jeep manifold. I have thoughts to switch to an aluminum intake manifold from an 84 and blend the manifold to the adapter with a die grinder.

As I also mentioned, we will have to fab a linkage for it too.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2002, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

That sounds like an awsome deal. The book i was looking at sold the Webers for 400 bux. Now at the most 200 bux for everything. We have a NAPA in town. Are you saying that there is a Mr. Gasket adaptor that my NAPA or Auto Zone might sell?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode