Rear facing lights! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 09:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rear facing lights!

I am looking to add some rear work lights on my yj. Does anyone have pics of there mounts w/ lights or an idea where to put them so they don't get smacked up? Where could I get some cheap small lights at? I tried at the farm store and they are a pretty big size I was thinking. Has anyone used those kit lights at Wal-mart, they are about the size of golf balls.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 09:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rear facing lights!

K-mart, Walmart, Autozone, etc all have their versions of offroad lights that are usually 55 watts with plastic housings. They run about 30 a pair but include all the wiring, preterminated connectors (not water proof though), fuse, and what not. I bought them for my Wrangler as back up lights and they work great.

Jay
95 Wrangler Rio Grande...She's gettin there - I'm all about the 4 cyls
http://www.geocities.com/heavycream
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 11:19 PM

Two things:

I used the Northern Tool Trackor lights in the rear. I have 2 facing straight back, and two floods facing to the sides and down for pedestrian lighting on night runs. The normal tractor lights are $10 ea, the halogen floods are $15 ea and are worth it if you need a LOT of light (I may swap the sets in the future).

If you are looking for GOOD low-buck lights, go to Wally-World and get their small cheapos. You get a set (2) for $15. Can't beat them, my only complaint is that they are tinted yellow. They are built pretty well, and I run about 3 sets as rock-lighting on my rig.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-639354-UndertheJeep.jpg (37.5 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 11:38 PM
Mud in my Veins

Herb, check those fog lamps to make sure they aren't "spray tinted". You may be able to remove the lenses and remove the tint from the backside with a scotchbrite. I like those "punkboy" lights you have under the hood. Small, bright, and best of all, CHEAP.
Also, interesting perspective in the pic! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Caver Dave
'72 Commando
(Now "Moss-less" & looking for a name)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 12:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

My vote is for the Cheapy Wal-Mart lights as well. They kinda' suck as fog/driving lights, but if you want them to light up a work area or campsite without blinding anyone, they are great! I had a set on my Ram as "Log Lights" (Upper mid-west version of rock lights) and they throw just enough light for up close work.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 12:25 AM
BMB
Veteran

I got one of the tractor lights from Northern that throws out a trapazoidal beam and made a mount for the spare tire carrier. The mount holds the light inside the tire and rim and is held on by the lug nut. Pretty easy to come up with using a scrap piece of flat stock and a drill. Don't have any pics, but the set up is similiar to the one 4WD Hardware started selling after I made mine.

BMB

BMB

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 02:42 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I have two pieces of angle iron bolted on the rear to support my home made trail rack. There was plenty of room left so I bought a cheap set of KCs with an angle lens to shine out to the sides from Wal-Mart and mounted them there. I built some gaurds for them out some stainless rod and welded them to the angle iron.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 10:23 AM
Old Hand

I bought a pair of those cheap $10 each auxillary lights from Wal-Mart and made a 3/4" recever that mounts inside my spare tire they work great, almost as bright as the head lights.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

This is what I was working on when I heard about the terrorist attacks[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Donnie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-639608-backuplights.JPG (45.0 KB, 0 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 10:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I forget who makes it but there is somebody who makes a bracket that bolts to the spare tire mount, Than the tire goes on. The bracket than sticks through the rim and a light is mounted on a bracket than it slides in and is held by a pin. I made one of these for my buddy and it works great, and its out of the way cause its recessed in the spare tire most of the way.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 11:11 AM

Heres how mine were mounted, up on the rack...

=-Thanks!

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Work Commuter.
89 FSJ - 6-inch Rustys on the way!
87 YJ - 5' of lift, Xterrains 33's. ARB Snorkel.
48 CJ2A - Lawn Sculpture.
Square-Eyed Jeeps Unite!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode