Engine Install Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 07:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Engine Install Question

When I removed my engine, the torque converter stayed with the transmission. Do I have to take the torque converter off and install it on the fly wheel before I install the engine, or do I install the engine with the torque converter already on the transmission and just make sure to get the bolts holes lined up?

One of my books says the most common failure of torque converters results from damage on installation. I'd like to avoid that.

Thanks

Shawn

82 CJ-7, dead 258, auto, 33's, 4.56 gears, detroit locker (rear) true trac (front)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 08:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Engine Install Question

When I installed mine the other day I left the torque converter on the tranny (make sure it slides all the way in)and bolted the transmission to the block. Through the inspection cover around the bottom of the flywheel you can bolt through the flywheel to the torque converter. It helps to match up your flywheel to the torque converter while it's outside the tranny, the bolt holes are staggered and only bolt up one way (at least on my 99 4.0 to TF999), and than mark the flywheel and the torque converter with something (I used paint). When you slide the tranny to the block you can position the marks together and it bolts together quicker. Otherwise you will need to rotate the flywheel as you try the bolt holes until they all line up.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 08:26 PM
Way Outta Control

Jeepfinder, SOSPD has give good advice. I usually take the TC off the input/pump shaft and mate it onto the flexplate. Then once I know it's on correctly I spraypaint the TC an the Flexplate to insure a accuracy when re-assembling. This lessens the time to re-assemble.

Be sure to get the TC all the way into the case. You shoul NOT be able to fit your fingers between the back of the TC and the Transmission Case. Look at the input shaft... there are likely three sets of teeth that the TC has to mate with. That's how many "clicks" back you have to make. Once you do that then rotate the fexplate and the TC to the most convient place to start the re-install when mated back togeter. You wont be sorry.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 01:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Great

I assume then that I can use my hands to pull off the converter and then replace it with no special tools etc...

Take Care

Shawn

82 CJ-7, dead 258, auto, 33's, 4.56 gears, detroit locker (rear) true trac (front)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 11:09 AM
Way Outta Control

The TC is easily removed and replaced by hand. Just be prepared to heft the weight as the TC comes off the shafts. The TC is still full of about 5 quarts of ATF and that can be pretty heavy when added to the TC weight.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 01:09 PM

I like to leave the TC on the tranny and bolt the flywheel up to it once the engine and tranny are bolted togethere. You can do it either way, but you run a greater risk of damaging the input shaft or seal if the TC is already bolted to the engine.
Yeah, you can pull off the TC by hand, just be careful, it's got 5-6 quarts of fluid in it and will make a huge mess. Fill it about halfway with fluid before you put it back on.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode