Alternator Volt-Reg. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 07:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Alternator Volt-Reg.

I have an 89 wrangler w/ the 2.5 engine Delco alternator Question is I belive the regulator went bad it is putting out around 18 volts. Can I replace just the regulator or do I need to get a new Alternator? Also how hard is this to do (the regulator I have no prob. with taking out the alt.)? I don't have the money to upgrade at this time and just would like to get it running again
Thanx Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 07:52 PM

Re: Alternator Volt-Reg.

Not sure how hard it is to change, but yes, you can buy just the regulator. It's only $10-15.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 09:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

don't run that thing like that(18v)or your going to replace a lot more that the reg/alt.yes you can do it. while your there check the brushes and the "diode trio" or what ever that other thing is called. but it might be just as cheap in the long run to get a reman.one. just my opinion. btw use a straightened paper clip to hold the brushes when going back together.

taco
78cj7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 09:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't worry I took it off the road right away. Also I thought of getting the remaned but I was thinking cheap fix now and mabey a high output with welder when I have more money. I hade gone through a deep puddle about an hour b4 it went bad so I think it got some water in it and shorted out.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 06:20 PM

Start by pulling the 2 wire connector out of the top of the alternator and cleaning the connections.

Get a Digital Volt/ Ohm meter from Wal-Mart or Radio Shack (under $20) and check the alternator output.

Verify the alternator is throwing high voltage and not your volt gauge screwing up....
Wire the Digital meter in so you can watch the system voltage while driving...
Cigarette lighter socket is a good source...
(Make sure it's not your volt gauge...)

Another way to see if it's your alternator and not your volt gauge is check the battery...
If it's been taking 18 volts, it will be low on 'water' pretty quick.

If the alternator IS the culprit, then you can buy a rebuild kit for around $10 to $15....
Use a long upholstery needle or mig welder wire to hold back the 'brushes' when you re-assemble.
(most welders will give you 4" of wire for free)
(You will see the holes in the brush holder already there for the wire, pull it out after you have everything back together)

Good luck!

So many cats, so few recipes...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 07:20 PM
Can't Get Enough

I personally wouldn't waste my time replacing the internal voltage regulator. Usually when the regulator goes high, the diodes are shorted. Or should I say that when a diode shorts and charges a/c, an electronic voltage regulator will go high. The cost of good diodes is greater than the price of a remanufactured alternator. You can probably pick up a reman unit from Checker for under $30.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode