Axle swap donor?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 03:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Axle swap donor??

I have located a '73 chevy 4x4 with 14-bolt rear and D60 front. I wasn't planning on an axle swap right now but if they work for the future I may snag them. I know they will need to be cut down but will these make good donors? Any issues with the year? I can get the truck complete minus engine for $600. Thanks - all advice is appreciated.

'85 CJ7 in pieces..
Daily driver - 2000 FLSTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 06:29 PM

Re: Axle swap donor??

I don't really know to much regarding the older stuff (Or the newer stuff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]) but you need to make sure it is an open knuckle design. I am not sure what year they changed over from the closed knuckle. You might also check the front brakes. Didn't they switch from drums to discs in the early seventies?

If they are open knuckle and discs, I would think you have a winner at that price.

Craig
84 CJ7
BRC Lifetime Member
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 07:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

keep in mind the width.. that 14 bolt... is next to impossible to cut down.. for someone to attempt themselves.. you might want to check with a local driveline/4x4 shop first.. and see if they will even do it... the front.. if its open knuckle.. disc brakes.. would be a good axle.. but i would also check the spline count of the shafts on it first.. some of those older axles.. had the lower spline count shafts.. which defeats the purpose..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 08:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't seen the truck yet to check any measurments. I was mainly interested in the D60. I will have to verify spline count and open vs. closed knuckle. He said the NP 205 is good but the trans is trash. He also has a 70 something cherokee with good axles. I'll check those as well. He wanted less forthat one. As far as local 4x4/driveline shops...we don't have any. I was looking forsomeone to set up gears in my M20 during this rebuild and no one does diffs around here so noone most likely does axle mods either. I gotta go to Austin or maybe Waco for any of that. Thanks again.

'85 CJ7 in pieces..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 08:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey Toolman,
Are you sure you are ready for those axles? You just got that Jeep running again and you are ready for an upgrade. LOL If you want to do a gear swap on your Model 20 come see me and we can do ours together. I have done both the axles on my CJ7 and I have to do the Waggie axles I got for my CJ8 (D44,M20). You should definitely check out the Cherokee. If it is a 4-door late 70's model it will have a D44 front that would work well on your CJ7('76 should be flat top knuckles). It will most likely have a offset rear D44. If it doesn't then you are real lucky. I got both of my waggie axles with wheels and steering linkage for $450 at the local Jeep rip-off yard. If you get a Waggie M20HD then you can use the gears and locker from your current M20. Just a thought. Let me know if you want to do the gear swap and we can set something up. I need someone to get me motivated to do mine.

Later,

4WheelDriveWeb
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 09:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tom - I would like to redo the gears in the M20. The axles were just offered to me on New Years eve. A friend of mine is trying to lighten his yard ornament collection. I found a narrow 14-bolt but am scrounging it for someone else. I don't know how much Jeepwife is willing to spend so I can try to explain the physics of larger meats and 2.73's. I will get with you on the gear swap - I would love to. She already says the 31's look too small. I need to wear 'em out or find a buyer before I can buy larger.

'85 CJ7 in pieces..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 02:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

where is Copperas Cove, TX ? i am interested in the d60 and 14bolt if you decide not to go that route. please let me know.

high5
it's one ton o' fun!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 09:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

High5, Copperas Cove is located about an hour North of Austin just West of Fort Hood. It is 26 miles west of Belton/Temple, or 2.5 hours south of Dallas. The truck is located in Belton which is about halfway between Austin and Waco at the intersection of I-35 and I-190. The only deal with the axles is that the whole truck must go. No title which isn't a problem for just parts. It is complete (supposedly) minus Engine. Tranny is shot but xfer is there and supposed to be a 205. I'll call my friend and get as much info as I can then email you. He told me $600 takes it.

'85 CJ7 in pieces..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode