Reverse lights and other questionable necessities - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Reverse lights and other questionable necessities

In a forehead-smacking moment of epiphany this weekend while removing the T150 from my CJ, I realized the T98 intended to swap into it has no reverse light switch. I'm contemplating the necessity, difficulty, and/or wisdom of rigging some such setup to the T98's cover, and weighing this against the potential joy of just turning around and yelling "HEY YOU!!! I'M BACKING UP!!!!" whenever doing so in a parking lot. I figure if I can somehow hork out the T150's switch, a threaded hole or somesuch may be all that is necessary to make it work. Perhaps a spring-loaded, threaded hole that would be tripped by the reverse lever whenever it moves backwards in the case. Or maybe just a rocker switch on the dash which I will never, ever remember to turn on (or turn off if I do turn it on).

Of course, the rocker switch gives other possibilities, such as easily mounting an auxiliary light out back to make night-time "oh crap, I can't go any farther here and can't turn around" events less stressful, and for giving tailgating, high-beam flashing motorists a clue that their behavior is not appreciated.

So what are other soutions folks have had to putting reverse lights where no facilities to do so were present?

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 10:25 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Reverse lights and other questionable necessities

My backup lights haven't worked for some time. I try not to park anywhere that I have to back up, especially at night. Of course they don't work in my pickup either. I guess it is just a theme at my house!

My girlfriend said if I spent one more dime on my Jeep she would leave. Man I'm going to miss her!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 11:34 AM

Mine broke off on my t-18 so I just ran a switch on the dash to some lights on the rear bumper. When I put it in reverse the shifter goes toward the dash so I just flick the switch, it looks like the real thing and works slick!

84 & 76 CJ-7's Give me a striaght six cummins diesel anyday. [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 11:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My CJ-7's reverse lights stopped working so the inspection place TOLD ME to wire them to a switch...I was planning on copying that idea and putting a spring loaded switch against the shifter somehow so that when it eas engaged in reverse it would push the switch - that got too technical for something I thought was menial at the time...On my Wrangler however, the back vinyl window was so scratched up that I couldn't see out the back of it at night - esp on the unlighted trails. I put a cheapo autozone set of 55 watters on the back, wired to the stock switch and have been golden ever since. If you're making a switch for reverse lights, make sure you setup at least a cheapo pair of aux lights...I'm sure you'll be glad you did someday

Jay
95 Wrangler Rio Grande...She's gettin there - I'm all about the 4 cyls
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 12:12 PM

I went to flush taillights and haven't had a reverse light for a couple of years now, but have been meaning to rig something up. Was thinking about using a momentary toggle type switch mounted on the gearshift. You couldn't forget and leave it on; it'd be nice and handy and visible so probably wouldn't forget to use it. Maybe someday.

Max

82 CJ, some stuff stock, some stuff not
Have you hugged your Jeep today?
http://www.alpine14rs.org
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 12:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Another thing I just thought of: use a lighted toggle switch. Considering that the only time you'll need reverse lights in the first place is at night, by using a lighted switch you'll never "forget" its on - seeing that little bit of colored light right in the corner of your eye will probably drive you nuts!! haha

Jay
95 Wrangler Rio Grande...She's gettin there - I'm all about the 4 cyls
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 12:41 PM

jay.. you nailed it. i hooked up a extra KC lite that i had kicking around, and wired it through a lighted switch. works great.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 01:11 PM
Can't Get Enough

I think reverse lights are important. When I replaced my lights with flush mounted I faced a problem. Instead of installing reverse flush lights, I got a pair of cheap,low amperage style lights. These mount just like ordinary fog lights and then mounted them on my rear bumper just below the swing portion of my tire carrier.
If my reverse switch no longer operated I would probably do something as above and get an illuminated switch. You just never know when you might need those lights.
Ricky...seeya...

CJ-7 with LOTS O' CRAP
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html,
http://www.aphlac.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 01:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I plan to get one of the shifter knobs with a built in switch for a roll control set up and use that to power an inexpensive light out back. That way it's right there on the knob. Of course I've been planning to do that for 7-8 years now...

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 02:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like the switch on the dash (either lighted or a little light powered off the same switch)
I have a couple utility lights mounted to the tire carrier (one on each side of the spare tire) They are bright and up out of the way...

[img] http://www.gmavt.net/~richpit/jeep0003.jpg [/img]

<font color=red>84 CJ7 / 258 / weber </font color=red> in the <font color=green> Green Mountain State </font color=green>
just empty every pocket??!!...oh man am I gonna need more pockets [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode