direct bolt on high output alternator? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

direct bolt on high output alternator?

so i replaced the starter and now the alternator bites it .....odd coincidence. anyway now i need an alternator and i thought it would be a good time to upgrade to a higher output one. i saw this discussed before, but couldn't find it on a search. is there a direct bolt on that is higher output? i heard discussion of a corvette alt. anyone have any input?

thanks all
shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 10:32 AM

Re: direct bolt on high output alternator?

If you're considering anything high-buck, "Mean Green" makes a very good, bolt-in HO Alternator (140+ amps). They're located just in between Johnstown and Greensburg on Rt.30, not sure if they sell direct from factory or if you have to go through a reseller. Retail costs run in the neighborhood of $350.

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

i wasn't thinking THAT high output or $$$. i was hoping to find one that would be carried in stock at one of the local stores. i don't have time to even go to a local yard.....esp since the jeep is my daily driver.

btw- fullygruntled, if you are around this weekend do you want to go wheel? let me know.

thanks all
shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 11:44 AM

There is a guy who sells high output alternators on ebay. I found one 180 amp with a one year warrenty for $119.99.
Here's a link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=599779946

78 CJ7 304V8,TH400,Dana 300 Twin stick,Custom HD-WT AMC20 detroit locker 4:10,D30 ez-locker 4:10,Built NOT Bought.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 12:00 PM

I'll be around this weekend, but my Jeep won't The tranny that ate itself is currently sitting in my basement and I'm still awaiting the rebuild kit for the T98. Then I have to await paychecks to pay for the input shaft cut/respline, CV driveshaft, and clutch without going into too much credit card debt. Plus I'm going back to school this semester plus working full time, including one day per weekend, have no garage for working during snow/rain, so add that all up and I won't be running for a while.

But yes, whenever it DOES get back up and running, you'll be the first man I call to help test out my nifty new crawl ratio.

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

i called the local parts store and i can get

'80 jeep - 63 amp - $50
'85 vette - 108 amp - $110
'96 chevy - 140 amp - $160

the 85 blazer was only around 70 amps or so.

my question is has anyone used these and are they direct bolt on.

thanks all
shawn

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 12:59 PM
ibscrmbln

I cut and pasted the following off the net from some place last summer for future reference. I would probably take this information to a local alternator rebuilder and see if they knew how to use it. Here it is --

There are some good older model alternators out there that can be hopped up to a bunch of amps easy and not to high a price. if you have room under the hood to bolt one on go to your salvage and get your self a delco 21 (si)buick 108 amp. Take it to a good rebuilder and have them to put in a 130 amp stater core and 130 amp rectifiers along with new bearings and a brush set and you should put in a new regulator and a new diode trio.All the parts come from amptec. About $100.00 bucks.

Me again. As I said, I would locate an alternator rebuilder that would agree to do this and firm up the prices before obtaining the core alternator. I am assuming you would end up with an 130 amp alternator.

Later, Ken.

83 CJ8, 4.0 HO/AW4, etc.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

thanks for the rebuild info, but i really don't have the time for it right now. i need to get the jeep running, so that means a bolt on, or something close to it. i am still waiting to hear of someone who has tried one of these. i KNOW someone on here has had to of tried it.

thanks all
shawn

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

so assuming that i can find one of these that fits, can i just drop in a 100 amp alt where the old 63 was w/o anything frying or do i need to add some other stuff?

thanks all
shawn

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 03:50 PM

You can drop in right in.
Just don't go for one of those 'Super Duper Mega Amp' alts. Stay with a factory high output, like the Corvette alternator...

So many cats, so few recipes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode