swapping in a 304 instead of a 360? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2002, 11:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

swapping in a 304 instead of a 360?

I am looking for a v-8 to swap into my 88yj to replace my crappy 4.2L. I have been told that 80's waggies and g-waggies have 360s in them. i just read the post about the amc engines being a lot heavier than the chevys and am now starting to look for a smaller amc so it is an easier install than the chevy. How does the 304 compare to the 360 as far as ease of installation, horses, and etc.? In what year and model could I find the 304? Preferably a wagoneer because I want to be able to swap in the tranny possibly to replace my stock auto(unless it will hold?) as well as the bigger difs etc. Besides the fact that the CJs are hard to find for cheap around here(Seattle WA). I can go to a junk yard and find a waggie for under 800. I appreciate the help. Thanks
Tim

'88 YJ, 4.2L w/Weber 32/36, Procomp 4" w/33 BFG M/T's, TFI upgrade, Stock auto tranny and everything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 01:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: swapping in a 304 instead of a 360?

I don't believe the 304 and the 360 differ much in weight.

http://performanceunlimited.com/docu...neweights.html

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 05:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 304 and 360 are about he same weight. They share the same block. Go with the 360. Much more HP and torque. You will be very happy wit it. The 360 only weighs about 40 pounds more than the 258 you are replacing. The 36 is a shorter engine, so it sits back farther in your jeep. The front of my Jeep actally came up after the swap from the six to the 8. Leverage thing I think because it's a shorter engine.It's an easy swap to do too since all the parts are stock. The only drawback I hav found with going with the AMC instead of a SBC is that there are fewer aftermarket performance parts for the AMC. Good luck. Feel free to email m with any questions.

85 CJ-7, warmed over AMC 360, T-18, Dana 300, 4.10's with rear locker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 03:30 PM

in theory the 360 should be lighter than the 304!

they are identical externally and weight wise ( well within a few lbs) both are about 60 lbs heavier than a SB chevy, and sound way cooler.

keep it amc!

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2002, 06:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Somewhere on the offroad site they have the tech info of horseys, torque, weight, etc of all the engines offered in Jeeps. If I remember correctly the 304 wasn't much more powerful than than the 258...I would go to the 360 for more horse power and torque, especially since its gonna be essentially the same process for installation given that they share the same block. The only disadvantage I see is a decrease in fuel economy. Just found the site (someone can HTML so its a clicky): http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/engine/

Jay
95 Wrangler Rio Grande...She's gettin there - I'm all about the 4 cyls
http://www.geocities.com/heavycream
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 01:01 AM

Here you go:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/engine/

It's all a state of mind, and if you don't mention the state of my mind, I'll be happy to overlook yours!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 07:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

When you look at those hp and torque figures make sure you take into account some of them are net and some are gross, big difference.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 05:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks all. I never did really understand the net a gross difference. Care to explain? Yah, I think I'm gonna stick with the 360. Did amc make a fuel injected 360 for the 80's model waggies or g-wagies? Is there a cheap fi system that would work or could I take off my Weber 32/36 from my 258 and use it on the 360? The air cleaner on the Weber is pretty small and non "manly" looking. Maybe I can make or find a bigger one for it? That's a little farther down the road though. Anyways so what is an 86 wagoneer a good buy considering the engine, tranny, axles(difs)etc.? What about the drivelines...any use there? Thanks again
Tim

'88 YJ, 4.2L w/Weber 32/36, Procomp 4" w/33 BFG M/T's, TFI upgrade, Stock auto tranny and everything else.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 05:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm running the 360 with a Holly Pro-jection unit, I like it. However, I once read an article where someone took a FI from a late model Chevy in a bone yard and adapted it to work their 360. They used a wiring harness from, I believe, Painless. All in all their cost was something like $300.00. I'll see if I can find the article.

'85 Cj7,360,TH400,D300,Pro-jection,D44's,M/T's 35's,8274
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2002, 05:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Everyone is responding quick. NICE! Will I have to get a harness from painless anyways? Or would I be able to wire it in myself just the painless will be easier?
Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode